Alternative to Sierra MatchKing HPBT

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Alternative to Sierra MatchKing HPBT

#1 Post by shugie »

Seems to be a supply problem with Sierra MatchKings, which is what I have used to date. 155g HPBT .308 been quite happy with the results, but need to have an alternative available if this shortage lasts much longer.

Suggestions welcome.
Careful now/that sort of thing
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

Re: Alternative to Sierra MatchKing HPBT

#2 Post by North Star »

Hi Shugie, only the usual suppliers I'm afraid! Lapua, Berger, Hornady etc., but I guess they are all in short supply these days? Has anyone ever used the HBC bullets from Australia? I was asked if I'd be a distributor years ago, but I've never heard of anyone in Europe or North America that's actually used them!
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

I have been surprised by the PPU match bullets in .224".
In the wife's rifle the 75gn bullets group better than the 77gn SMK, and at about half the cost. I can only assume the 30cal bullets will be of a similar quality but I haven't tried them yet.

Unfortunately, PPU seem to be scarce everywhere as well but stocks should be quicker to arrive than Sierra.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#4 Post by Daryll »

shugie wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:00 pm Seems to be a supply problem with Sierra MatchKings, which is what I have used to date. 155g HPBT .308 been quite happy with the results, but need to have an alternative available if this shortage lasts much longer.

Suggestions welcome.
I switched to the Hornady Match 155gn HPBT a couple of years ago.. They're certainly more accurate than i am, (although only an occasional long range shooter), and a lot cheaper than the SMK..
andrew375

#5 Post by andrew375 »

I'm using the ppu 155gr hpbt match bullets for the last couple of years without a problem. They appear to be a clone of the first iteration of the smk. Sight come ups are roughly the same.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#6 Post by mag41uk »

Lapua. Get them in 1k boxes from sportsmans gun center
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#7 Post by ukrifleman »

Has anyone ever used the HBC bullets from Australia?

I think spud stocks them
ukrifleman
Mike 01
Home club or Range: Bisley

Optimus HBC 155 grain Projectiles

#8 Post by Mike 01 »

Hi, I see people are wondering about the HBC 155 grain projectiles. I don't think anyone is currently importing them into the UK, and so far as I am aware, no-one has any in stock. I personally have found them to be absolutely outstanding and would definitely buy some more if I could find them. I attach a screenshot of the electronic target with my 5-shot group at 1,000 yards, fired with a sling and aperture sights using a target rifle with a 32" 1 in 12 twist barrel. The white dotted lines are 1 MOA squares, on the UK NRA Long Range target template. I called shot 2 slightly high. You will understand why I am hoping someone starts importing them again into the UK!
Attachments
HBC at 1000 Yards (TR).JPG
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#9 Post by shoppe »

I used the HBC bullets years ago and found them great. I only stopped using them about 4 to 5 years ago because they did not suit my new barrel. They did shoot pretty good but the lapua scenars were that bit better.
I actually just sold 1200 of them about 5 weeks ago.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#10 Post by Lever357 »

Pointless switching to anything American as supply will continue to be an issue. Lapua do a good 155 Scenar bullet. HBC 155 is really good as well but the guy that was importing them stopped two years ago. I'm not sure if the producer in Australia retired.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!