Melville

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Melville

#1 Post by shugie »

A pleasant day's shoot on Melville today, and the CSR lot were having a fine time over on Stickledown to judge by the noise. But Melville was woefully underused, with half the bays empty all day. Of the two clubs I shoot with, one never books Melville any more in the high season, and the other only a few times. The NRA appears to have over-priced the summer range fees for Melville.

I might write to Andrew Mercer, but suspect I will get a fairly anodyne response.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Melville

#2 Post by Vossie »

I always seem to be there on my own. There used to be a lovely group of older guys on a Tuesday, but since its no longer discounted I guess they gave up.
So much for getting more people on the range.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

Melville lost some of it's appeal for me when they scrapped the 25 yd targets (Yes, I know you can go forward to shoot from half way down the range out in the open) And - I wish there would be a couple of decent benches to shoot 50yd .22 benchrest from, not those flimsy little tables left over from when the range was mostly used for pistol shooting.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#4 Post by Airbrush »

Happy to be corrected but I doubt it was the ‘CSR lot’ on Stickledown, Century is their usual home.
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#5 Post by Vossie »

1066 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:15 pm Melville lost some of it's appeal for me when they scrapped the 25 yd targets (Yes, I know you can go forward to shoot from half way down the range out in the open) And - I wish there would be a couple of decent benches to shoot 50yd .22 benchrest from, not those flimsy little tables left over from when the range was mostly used for pistol shooting.
Totally agree, the chairs the benches not suitable for anytime if shooting. My friend hires the total bay just so he can bring his own bench to train unless the weather is bad then its a no go.
I don't think anyone ever complains so it's just left as half a job.

The only bonus is meeting other shooters, although lately most just come in shoot tons and are gone in an hour without a word said, or there is absolutely no one.

Those having a jolly good time on the other range are the Police.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Airbrush wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:30 am Happy to be corrected but I doubt it was the ‘CSR lot’ on Stickledown, Century is their usual home.
I was there yesterday and the 'CSR lot' weren't shooting CSR on Stickledown, at least no one told the CSR lot what was happening.
CSR doesn't go beyond 500 (or 600 exceptionally and in the past).

Someone else having fun.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#7 Post by channel12 »

Not the CSR lot, almost certainly it was the military on the Pirbright ranges as their ranges are very close to Stickledown.
rox

#8 Post by rox »

Airbrush wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:30 am Happy to be corrected but I doubt it was the ‘CSR lot’ on Stickledown, Century is their usual home.
The Inter-Counties meeting was on Stickledown in the morning; that would account for approx 5376 bangs.

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#9 Post by shugie »

That would what it was then, the loudspeaker announced the prize giving during lunch time. There was a good turnout, plenty of people present.
Careful now/that sort of thing