Proposed HSE lead ban

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Proposed HSE lead ban

#11 Post by Christel »

When the handgun ban came around there were as far as I recall an entry to do with competition shooters, Olympics and that sort of thing being allowed to continue with shooting handguns. Again that word "Elite".

We were told a few years ago that Ely had something in the pipeline for .22LR however as far as I know that is still in the pipeline. Anyone?
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

450 Martini, although I started reading the document I have not gotten that far - I will take a look. Thanks.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Elite, now what does 'Elite' mean? Does that mean that I could be shooting towards the top of Division 2 in LSR and only Division 1 would be Elite, in fact would LSR shooters at national level even count? Would it be prone types seeded 10 and above and be a possible Olympic or Commonwealth shot be 'Elite'... ah wait a minute.

No elite shooters for the UK then :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#14 Post by Daryll »

Of course they could say that they're not Olympic/Commonwealth level because they can't practise enough...
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

I only shoot side by side shotguns these days and my current 'Go to guns' are a matching pair of Cogswell & Harrison box locks. The #1 is choked 1/4 & 1/2 and the #2 is 3/4 & full so steel is out. I am already resigning myself to Bismuth, luckily I only shoot small days but end of season root shooting will be out for me.

Equally my rifles are all pre 1939 other than a 6,5x47 Lapua and I really cannot see my Lee Speed or Model 1901 6,5x54MS being particular happy with lead substitutes and gawd knows what a 1912 Model 12 will think of 'Green rimfire....

I feel another boat coming on to keep me occupied come retirement, cos I certainly cannot see myself shooting :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

Christel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:29 pm When the handgun ban came around there were as far as I recall an entry to do with competition shooters, Olympics and that sort of thing being allowed to continue with shooting handguns. Again that word "Elite".
And if you've ever had the misfortune to come across the GB team at Bisley as our club did once on Cheylesmore range, they are very keen to display that elite and aloof attitude to other shooters... 8-)
Christel
Site Admin

#17 Post by Christel »

Shame, united as shooters we do not stand it looks like.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

I noticed Henry kranks are advertising lead free PPU .308 bullets for sale. They are expensive compared to the lead jacketed equivalents. Just another way to screw us. I may purchase a 100 to see how they perform for target work.
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#19 Post by 38Super »

Anyone aware of any lead free possibilities for .38/357 or .44 for the gallery rifles?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

If this is to go through I see this as the death knell of British Shooting. I have stopped buying any thing shooting related. Guns I had planned to buy are on hold. My collection I have all ready thinned out because I think they are stupid and misinformed enough to go through with this.