Proposed HSE lead ban

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Graham M

Re: Proposed HSE lead ban

#61 Post by Graham M »

I think that the way the form was set out put a lot of people off. How on earth could anyone know how much lead was being deposited over the country from people shooting lead.
And let's face it, the question was designed to make it look as though there were thousands of tons of it being spread all over the place, and that were were agreeing with this presumption.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Dellboy
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#62 Post by Dellboy »

dromia wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:26 pm Great news, BASC doesn't support a lead ban and no RFD's business will have to close so no compensation needed. wtf

I received this from a Mr O'Gorman.

"Dear Mr Sutherland,

BASC does not support a lead ban and I don’t agree that RFDs will be put out of business by a transition away from some forms of lead ammunition.

If you would like to discuss further let me know a good day/time for me to call you.

Best wishes"

I look forward to taking his phone call.
Well at the GTA meeting at Bisley last year the BASC rep said all lead should be banned ..
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#63 Post by dromia »

Sounds like more of BASC's clear and consistent messaging?!?!?!?!?!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#64 Post by GeeRam »

Graham M wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:25 pm I think that the way the form was set out put a lot of people off. How on earth could anyone know how much lead was being deposited over the country from people shooting lead.
Talking to a few others, I would agree with that. Seems people I've talked to got to this point and thought, WTF......and then didn't go any further.
Most feel the whole thing was loaded against shooters completing it anyway, so what was the point.
Blackstuff

#65 Post by Blackstuff »

Other than the first general question none of the rest was relevant to individual shooters. As said it was likely designed this way on purpose to put people off. I'm only surprised that the general question was the first, and not last question so they'd get even less. The questions were also terribly worded and forced you to agree with from inaccurate, to untrue statements.

However, had BASC, NRA, BSSC etc etc bothered to put out their response for people to crib off, and provide guidance on what was expected of the average shooter, then the responses would have been significantly higher. Considering its BASCs grass root shooters (wetlanders) that have prompted this by not bothering to comply with the existing law on steel ammo its no surprise they didn't want to rattle cages, but I don't know what all the other jumble of acronyms excuses are.

It was left to Youtubers and club secretaries to do this which is frankly ridiculous. I put in 3 responses myself and know of several others that did the same. One Youtube channel (English Shooting) was likely responsible for a sizeable percentage so it was probably less than 1500 people out of a population of 600,000-2,000,000 that bothered themselves to protect the sport. No wonder we're on our last legs. The measly 2800 responses has crippled this with the HSE for 6 months, imagine what would have happened if they'd got 250,000....
DVC
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#66 Post by millemigliadave »

I've looked for a link to the 'extended' consultation, the page on HSE's site references the old end date - but can't find it.

Anyone have a link please?

Thx.
Blackstuff

#67 Post by Blackstuff »

AFAIK there is no extension to the 'consultation', they've tacked on the 6 months for THEM to get through the responses they've received as apparently they weren't expecting that many 5mith They were supposed to give a next to instant response on 21st December IIRC.
DVC
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#68 Post by millemigliadave »

Blackstuff wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:09 am AFAIK there is no extension to the 'consultation', they've tacked on the 6 months for THEM to get through the responses they've received as apparently they weren't expecting that many 5mith They were supposed to give a next to instant response on 21st December IIRC.
Ah, I understand now. Was hoping to encourage some more folks to respond given the poor turnout so far. Shame.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#69 Post by Airbrush »

Ah yes, public consultations, box ticking exercises for decisions already made. teanews
Blackstuff

#70 Post by Blackstuff »

Airbrush wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:16 am Ah yes, public consultations, box ticking exercises for decisions already made. teanews
Almost certainly true, but still no excuse not to spend 5 minutes filling it in.

2800 responses has delayed them for 6 months. What would 28,000, 280,000, 2,800,000 done? I suspect the latter two would have had them crippled rather quickly and just given it up as a bad idea. wallhead
DVC