Proposed HSE lead ban

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff

Re: Proposed HSE lead ban

#81 Post by Blackstuff »

Alpha1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:48 pm I can not speak for other Clubs but I made sure my members were aware of the situation when I mentioned it on one of our range days. Looking at the expressions on there faces I doubt very much they bothered to access the consultation and respond.

(You can lead horses to water but you can not make them drink.)
Yep exactly this. The practical shotgun club I help run has a Facebook page and I made a post about it. FB lets you see who has viewed the post and every member had. As far as I can gather only 7 members actually lifted a finger and put in a response, despite the lead ban effectively meaning the club will no longer be able to operate (under the current understanding of the proposals) and the sport as a whole effectively going to be dead in 5 years troutslapping wallhead
DVC
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#82 Post by Pete »

And there'll be tears when they try to flog their kit.......

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

#83 Post by paul mercer »

Re the proposed ban on lead ammunition, I think that BASC have got this well in hand and are making representations to HMG about this and I understand (rightly or wrongly) that the ban has been put on hold (for the time being anyway) while investigations into suitable alternatives are made. I also believe that some tests with .22 non lead ammo was not only inaccurate but produced very high velocities - some in the region of 1700fps!
While there are alternatives like steel shot for shotgun cartridges I don't think they are made in 410 yet, as for bullets, I really don't think that the amount fired by vintage rifles and pistols over the years amount to being a great danger to health and this would also apply to. 22 used for vermin shooting, as for .22 target, shooting the vast majority of clubs have bullet traps anyway.
Frankly in my humble opinion the whole business is just designed to cut down on shooting in general by some politically correct AH's!
RDC

#84 Post by RDC »

paul mercer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:33 am Re the proposed ban on lead ammunition, I think that BASC have got this well in hand...
BASC have been pushing the narrative of 'Evil Lead' for a number of years and have actively supported any such ban. They even tried to railroad through a 'voluntary ban', claiming support from all British ammunition manufacturers. Funnily enough, the ammo manufacturers didn't agree.
David TS
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#85 Post by David TS »

paul mercer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:33 am Re the proposed ban on lead ammunition, I think that BASC have got this well in hand and are making representations to HMG about this and I understand (rightly or wrongly) that the ban has been put on hold (for the time being anyway) while investigations into suitable alternatives are made. I also believe that some tests with .22 non lead ammo was not only inaccurate but produced very high velocities - some in the region of 1700fps!
While there are alternatives like steel shot for shotgun cartridges I don't think they are made in 410 yet, as for bullets, I really don't think that the amount fired by vintage rifles and pistols over the years amount to being a great danger to health and this would also apply to. 22 used for vermin shooting, as for .22 target, shooting the vast majority of clubs have bullet traps anyway.
Frankly in my humble opinion the whole business is just designed to cut down on shooting in general by some politically correct AH's!
I fear you are sleepwalking into this. Did you respond to the consultation?
David TS
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#86 Post by David TS »

Alpha1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:48 pm I can not speak for other Clubs but I made sure my members were aware of the situation when I mentioned it on one of our range days. Looking at the expressions on there faces I doubt very much they bothered to access the consultation and respond.

(You can lead horses to water but you can not make them drink.)
The HSE consultation ended on a Sunday evening IIRC, and I completed it before the deadline.

The next morning I was at the small bore range run by one of the clubs I belong to.

'So, how many filled in the HSE consultation' asked I.

I got completely blank looks, and a comment of 'what consultation'.........
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#87 Post by Pippin89 »

Pete wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:11 am And there'll be tears when they try to flog their kit.......

Pete
Especially as no one will be allowed a S1 SG as PSG is just about the only justification. They would have to do a buy back scheme as they did with LR and MARS at enormous cost to tax payers.
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

#88 Post by paul mercer »

David TS wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:41 am
paul mercer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:33 am Re the proposed ban on lead ammunition, I think that BASC have got this well in hand and are making representations to HMG about this and I understand (rightly or wrongly) that the ban has been put on hold (for the time being anyway) while investigations into suitable alternatives are made. I also believe that some tests with .22 non lead ammo was not only inaccurate but produced very high velocities - some in the region of 1700fps!
I fear you are sleepwalking into this. Did you respond to the consultation?
Yes, I did respond and put forward some alternative views particularly about .22 rimfire which is my sphere of interest, I also contacted the NSRA as well although they did not respond, they seemed to be a bit complacent about it. The whole thing appears to revolve around those who want to ban all guns and shooting, after all, people have been eating game shot with lead bullets and pellets for a very long time without any discernible harm. Frankly I think all this 'save the world', environmental stuff is cooked up by people wanting to ban anything they don't like and is just a form of brainwashing the public to their way of thinking. Unfortunately guns and gun owning does not always sit very well with the general public, so we are an easy target.
Graham M

#89 Post by Graham M »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:33 am
Pete wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:11 am And there'll be tears when they try to flog their kit.......

Pete
Especially as no one will be allowed a S1 SG as PSG is just about the only justification. They would have to do a buy back scheme as they did with LR and MARS at enormous cost to tax payers.
No they won't because the government will say that they had nothing to do with it and that they aren't banning any guns........so they won't be compensating anyone!!!!

Paul Mercer. What frikkin' planet have you been living on for the last couple of years???
This was the bullsh!te that BASC put up on their web page, claiming that everyone else was on their side, by taking quotes from other organisations and using them out of context.

https://basc.org.uk/shooting-and-rural- ... mmunition/
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#90 Post by dromia »

When I discussed this with BASC I was told that they thought it wouldn't impact on the gun trade and therefore compensation wasn't an issue!?!?!?!?

I was also told that BASC was against the lead ban 'twas just that they hadn't said so.

BASC is complete waste of time, my unfortunate dealings with them suggest to me that it is a comprised of a lot of little competing fiefdoms that rarely share let alone agree on anything so the the organisation has conflicting views on practically everything.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/