Proposed HSE lead ban

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Proposed HSE lead ban

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Does anyone have a game plan for the proposed lead ban? I am sure a lot of us have guns that might technically be incapable of use if this does go ahead. Rimfires, .410 shotguns and older tightly choked guns spring to mind, as do .303s and similar. All without viable ammunition alternatives right now.

Thoughts anyone, will the government compensate us for the guns that are rendered useless?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
lapua338

Re: Proposed HSE lead ban

#2 Post by lapua338 »

How about the shooting community unites for once and tells 'officialdom' to f*ck off and leave us alone?
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#3 Post by 450 Martini »

I have wondered if the proposed buy back and compensation would include ammunition?
For certain obsolete calibre ammunition say like the 577-450 with Bertram cases that is going to be around £10 per round...
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

The lead ban is being rolled out with old EU directives which means despite leaving it still applies....go figure.
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

Quite a lot of us have big collections. Some of us have old military rifles and rimfires/shotguns dating back decades.

I feel we are being forced to give up shooting.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

450 Martini wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:58 am I have wondered if the proposed buy back and compensation would include ammunition?
For certain obsolete calibre ammunition say like the 577-450 with Bertram cases that is going to be around £10 per round...
Proposed buy back. I have not heard of this, do you have a reference?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#7 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I tried some solid copper bullets yesterday in my 308 FTR rifle. Some interesting results. The weight was 178gn whereas I usually shoot Berger 185gn. The bullets were about 0.25 inch longer than the Bergers.

Would they fit my standard chamber - without compromising powder capacity and would they stabalise?

Although longer, they were very 'VLD' in profile so yes - they loaded OK, seating only about 20 thou. deeper. I shot them at 300 yards - they were stable and velocity was pretty well identical to the Bergers with the same load of Vit 150 - I did start lower in case the pressure was higher but it was OK.

These bullets were French and sell for about 70 Euros per 100 so not that much different to Bergers.

Of course, Barnes Bullets already offer a range of solids mainly for the hunter but once the demand is there I'm sure others will catch on.

I realise that this is no comfort to the smallbore shooter but I'm sure Eley will not desert the home market and, who knows - a non-lead rimfire bullet may offer better accuracy.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#8 Post by 450 Martini »

Ovenpaa wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:08 pm
450 Martini wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:58 am I have wondered if the proposed buy back and compensation would include ammunition?
Proposed buy back. I have not heard of this, do you have a reference?
It's in the Annex document and relates to both lead cartridges and "bullets".

https://consultations.hse.gov.uk/crd-re ... nition.pdf
Attachments
buy back.png
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

That seems to refer to bullets/ammunition not the firearms that use them?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by millemigliadave »

Nothing suitable that I can see for cap and ball revolvers. Nothing with any decent accuracy in .22LR (NSRA have a doc that cites some test results - they look appalling), my 1943 No.4 will probably not like non lead and I cant see how practical shotgun could continue without lead shot. My airguns would have the same issue as .22LR, apparently the non lead pellets are dreadful for group size and wind drift. That leaves me with clays using steel shot, except my shotguns are not steel shot proofed (and its my least favoured discipline) . At the moment I'd have to take the same view as Christel, this would effectively constitute a ban for me. Hoping for a concession of some sort (other than the 'elite athlete' rubbish in the document)