Best epoxy for wood

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

RJ156

Re: Best epoxy for wood

#11 Post by RJ156 »

Dr. Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:48 pm I repaired a CZ550 stock that had a crack underneath where the bolt handle sits. I drilled holes through the crack and put 3mm brass threaded rods into the holes. The rods had some Devcon on them and there was some in the holes as well. I also opened up the crack and put some Devcon inside.

I cut/filed away the rods when the Devcon was dry and as I oiled the stock I covered them thoroughly. They’re now nice and shiny and almost look like they’re meant to be there!
What drill size did you use for the rod? Same size?
Dr. Strangelove

#12 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

RJ156 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:55 pm What drill size did you use for the rod? Same size?
I believe so. The rod wasn’t a very tight fit from memory - I could slide it in and out without too much pressure.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

these got split away from the main c&rsenal channel, but they are very informative, not certain this is the right video, but he goes into how he repairs stocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKeOQVsyRMU
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#14 Post by Graham M »

Painful to watch.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Polchraine

#15 Post by Polchraine »

Maybe worth looking at "Gorilla Glue" their expanding/foaming one. It works with almost every wood including the naturally oil teak and iroko and forms a very strong bond and will bond to metals aswell.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#16 Post by Mattnall »

RJ156 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:30 pm Yeah il see how I get on. By pin you mean drill and dowel right? Not pin with say steel
I've used brass 'pins' before, depending upon where the crack is. These are coarse threaded like a wood screw and need a pilot hole, they are screwed in, cut off and finished to the surface of the wood. You often see old Enfields with this type of repair.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
RJ156

#17 Post by RJ156 »

So hopefully this pic works

That’s where the back of the no4 receiver joins the stock
Attachments
18446EB3-190C-46FD-BF6B-A0D2D39B97B4.jpeg
RJ156

#18 Post by RJ156 »

Mattnall wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:17 am
RJ156 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:30 pm Yeah il see how I get on. By pin you mean drill and dowel right? Not pin with say steel
I've used brass 'pins' before, depending upon where the crack is. These are coarse threaded like a wood screw and need a pilot hole, they are screwed in, cut off and finished to the surface of the wood. You often see old Enfields with this type of repair.
You got a link or a brand name I can search for this brass pins stuff?

I only find metric threaded bar otherwise

Cheers
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#19 Post by Mattnall »

Here you go:

Pin Kit

Stick "Stock repair pins" into DuckDuckGo (other search engines are available) and you'll get alternatives but mostly Brownell's and reviews of Brownell's kits..
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
RJ156

#20 Post by RJ156 »

Mattnall wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:48 am Here you go:

Pin Kit

Stick "Stock repair pins" into DuckDuckGo (other search engines are available) and you'll get alternatives but mostly Brownell's and reviews of Brownell's kits..
Brilliant thanks matey, sorry to ask for a spoon feed on that but google was giving me nothing but thumb tacks……

So I expoxied the broken piece back in situ perfectly as it was. Now just need to pop a pin through it

Thanks again all