Lee APP press de capping tool

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Re: Lee APP press de capping tool

#11 Post by channel12 »

"couple of copper plates could be affected by magnets"

I'm guessing you didn't do "O" levels or were away when discussing the Faraday effect. Moving bits of copper through a magnetic field can electrifying !
Graham M

#12 Post by Graham M »

Wots an O level :p
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

Like I said the Lee thing is a form masochism for me its like a itch I just have to scratch it. I bought three of the de capping rods that the APP/ACP de capping tool uses. They are steel rods turned down to fit the primer pocket not hardened pins as used on the Lee conventional de capping die. The way the system works it relies on a plastic set of jaws to line up the de capping rod. Guess what some times it does not line it up and the de capping pin snaps. I could fix this issue but at the moment I am heavily into creating the perfect bowl of Shoyu Ramen I am about there. Once that is sorted I might have another look at the APP/ACP priming thing. But there are so many other things going on who knows.
Graham M

#14 Post by Graham M »

channel12 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:49 pm "couple of copper plates could be affected by magnets"

I'm guessing you didn't do "O" levels or were away when discussing the Faraday effect. Moving bits of copper through a magnetic field can electrifying !
Enjoyed watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sENgdSF8ppA
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#15 Post by ukrifleman »

Graham M wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:08 pm Must admit that I have Redding scales due to the Lee scales being absolute rubbish and a Lyman powder measure because the Lee "Auto disk powder dispenser" was accurate to about as near as it wanted.

I have 3 beam scales, a Lyman, a Lee and a Redding No.2, the latter being my preferred option.

I grant you the Lee scale has its drawbacks such as poor damping, more fiddly to set up and limited to a maximum charge weight of110gn, but all 3 scales have one thing in common, they are just as accurate as each other.

Lee scales are not `absolute rubbish` they do the job accurately if set up correctly albeit with the limitations mentioned above.

As for the auto disk powder measure, I have never had a problem with wildly inaccurate charges. One thing I learnt is working the press lever too sharply can cause powder to be ejected from the disk, giving inaccurate charges.

ukrifleman
Graham M

#16 Post by Graham M »

My apologies, I didn't realise my opinion would cause you such offence.
I just thought that the Lee scales were so naff that they were rubbish. Sorry teanews
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#17 Post by ukrifleman »

Absolutely no offence taken, if you have had a bad experience with Lee products, then I am sure that would colour your judgement.
My point was that Lee stuff is `fit for purpose` if you use it as directed.
No doubt about it, Lee products are at the budget end of reloading equipment compared to other brands, but in the main good value for money.
Many thousands of re-loader's started with Lee kit (myself included) because it was affordable and it worked!
ukrifleman
Graham M

#18 Post by Graham M »

Graham M wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:21 pm Can't understand it. My Lee dies have lasted for over 30 years
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#19 Post by channel12 »

Graham M wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:20 am
channel12 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:49 pm "couple of copper plates could be affected by magnets"

Enjoyed watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sENgdSF8ppA
So now you know about magnetic damping using a piece of copper, simple and effective way of damping a set of beam scales :good:

I have Lyman scales which very quickly replaced the undamped Lee scales.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

The first set of Lee scales I purchased very quickly went were they belong in the bin. Probably about 38 year ago. I have two Hornady calibrated beam scales that I use for most of my reloading. I have one of 1066,s electric powder tricklers that I have been using for at least ten years. I also have one of his stand alone powder tricklers. I have bought and sold electric powder scales and would not have one given unless it was a Laboratory scale calibrated to four decimal places and a contract to have it serviced every six month. I actually have access to Laboratory scales we have three of them in the Lab were I work and in the main building were the analytical labs are there are lots and lots of them. Unfortunately the people I am contracted to don't like the idea of me measuring powder and re loading at work.

teanews Hmm it just occurred to me maybe at 71 years old I should may be thinking about retiring. Na that would be boring.

The Lee scale is rubbish.