Scratching the AI itch

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Fenix1

Scratching the AI itch

#1 Post by Fenix1 »

I am seriously considering saving up some ££ and moving from my current Steyr SSG-04 over to a AI, probably an AT 308. I have shot an AI on 1 previous occasion, but I have shot a Sako TRG quiet regularly. I tend to shoot 600-1000m at Bisley, but my new club also shoots McQueen. Only reasons to go with the AI over anything else is that I like them, I like that they are British, options on barrel length and calibre changes would be good. Not ready to buy yet, but this caught my notice.
https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/ac ... 8210552990
Other option that might interest me would be a Tonbridge built RPA. Are there any other British made actions? Could go down the custom route, but think an AI could be the itch I always want to scratch. Anybody got one?

Regards

Jon
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Scratching the AI itch

#2 Post by Sim G »

I have an RPA and love it. Owned it nearly 20 years! I would also love an AI. I know lots of blokes that have them, and I’ve never heard of one of them that’s not a shooter.

There’s a reason it’s the most popular and probably best sniper rifle in the world…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

I too felt like you do. After having looked that AI's for a while and not being able to justify an AX I decided to treat myself to an AI AT for my 50th (a number of years ago) and I haven't regretted it (.308 26inch barrel, muzzle brake with folding stock). It allows me to compete in various different competitions, also the quick change barrel facility is excellent. I can change between .308, 6.5 Creedmoor custom or 6.5 Creedmoor factory barrels very quickly. Just buy the appropriate torque wrench. I fitted the thumbhole sides because that's the look I prefer. Also, recently fitted the competition trigger, which while not inexpensive is a very worthwhile purchase in my opinion.

From the image, that's a different bolt handle and the rifle isn't a folding stock (depends if that is important to you?).
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shot AI for may years in 7,62x51 & 6,5x47 Lapua, a great rifle and very effective with the obligatory PMII. Do I miss them? Not really, there are many more rifles that make me smile.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

I love my AT, It's my dream rifle it's rock solid, a tack driver, superb "all rounder".
My RPA was a better shooter and more suited to the style of shooting that I tend to actually do. The longer barrel gets more out of a bullet for shooting long range FTR and the standard RPA trigger was better than the AI.

That said, I wouldn't ever sell my AI. It is everything I wanted from it, I do regret letting my RPA go (to my old man, he maintains I'll get it back one day...) as it was slightly more competitive.

Buy what you want that fuels the fire inside you for shooting. If you're non-plussed either way between RPA and AI, but the one best suited to the discipline you want to shoot.

Sako TRG's are notoriously fantastic shooters, so weigh up what you want. Military styling and Squaddie Proof ruggedness, or squeezing the very last drop of efficiency from the cartridge.

All that said, others may be able to wring every last drop of efficiency out of a cartridge with whatever theyre shooting, but look towards what people who are competitive in your discipline are using. It's pointless using a 26" standard throated barrel against everyone else using a 32" long throated barrel on a custom action etc... other than competing against yourself.
Fenix1

#6 Post by Fenix1 »

TattooedGun wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:46 am I love my AT, It's my dream rifle it's rock solid, a tack driver, superb "all rounder".
My RPA was a better shooter and more suited to the style of shooting that I tend to actually do. The longer barrel gets more out of a bullet for shooting long range FTR and the standard RPA trigger was better than the AI.

That said, I wouldn't ever sell my AI. It is everything I wanted from it, I do regret letting my RPA go (to my old man, he maintains I'll get it back one day...) as it was slightly more competitive.

Buy what you want that fuels the fire inside you for shooting. If you're non-plussed either way between RPA and AI, but the one best suited to the discipline you want to shoot.

Sako TRG's are notoriously fantastic shooters, so weigh up what you want. Military styling and Squaddie Proof ruggedness, or squeezing the very last drop of efficiency from the cartridge.

All that said, others may be able to wring every last drop of efficiency out of a cartridge with whatever theyre shooting, but look towards what people who are competitive in your discipline are using. It's pointless using a 26" standard throated barrel against everyone else using a 32" long throated barrel on a custom action etc... other than competing against yourself.
Which RPA did you have?

Hopefully in a position to get something in March
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#7 Post by TattooedGun »

I had an RPA Ranger, Quadlite Action, 32" Krieger Barrel, RPA Trakker Sights (Iron SIghts).

My old man shoots it now between irons and Scoped and it's a beast with 155gr SMKs
Nick-St
Home club or Range: Bisley

#8 Post by Nick-St »

I felt the same and finally got a new AW last year as a late 50th present to myself... Certainly haven't regretted it yet!
Fenix1

#9 Post by Fenix1 »

Nick-St wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:35 am I felt the same and finally got a new AW last year as a late 50th present to myself... Certainly haven't regretted it yet!
If I get one it will be 47th birthday present.

What model did you get?
Nick-St
Home club or Range: Bisley

#10 Post by Nick-St »

I got one of the batch of original AWs that Sporting Services commissioned. I changed out the new style furniture, muzzle brake & bipod for the old style ones to make it look like the 'classic' AW.