Trying Steel Shot on Clays

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Trying Steel Shot on Clays

#21 Post by Sim G »

Pippin89 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:37 am
What cartridges are you using out of interest? The only ones I shot on this day that I would consider were the Eley. The rest were not usable. But I only tried 3 types so would be interesting to know if others perform well enough. Someone there was raving about Hull Pro Steel.

Gamebore Super Steel. I tend to use 24 gram #9 for Skeet and 28 gram #7.5 for Sporting and Skeet.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#22 Post by Pippin89 »

Graham M wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:42 am Are the Eley ones using potato wads
Yeah that's right. It looks and feels like plastic but 24 hours in water and its completely dissolved. To cover the risk of the wad dissolving before you've shot it if it gets wet, they hot crimp the top to seal it.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:10 am
Yeah that's right. It looks and feels like plastic but 24 hours in water and its completely dissolved. To cover the risk of the wad dissolving before you've shot it if it gets wet, they hot crimp the top to seal it.
Any idea if the wads are available to buy on their own for handloading? They would be very handy to avoid range waste
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#24 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:14 am
Pippin89 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:10 am
Any idea if the wads are available to buy on their own for handloading? They would be very handy to avoid range waste
No idea I'm afraid