Trying Steel Shot on Clays

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Trying Steel Shot on Clays

#11 Post by bradaz11 »

nic wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:09 pm seeing as my first shooting love is wildfowling, i have been shooting steel for the last 25 plus years. tbh i would be just as happy not to shoot lead again.
yes, but it's not the same thing as hitting targets. steel shot will kill a bird just as well as lead.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

nic wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:09 pm seeing as my first shooting love is wildfowling, i have been shooting steel for the last 25 plus years. tbh i would be just as happy not to shoot lead again.
Typical unhelpful divisive shooters attitude.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
nic

#13 Post by nic »

Typical unhelpful divisive shooters attitude.
[/quote]

No it is an opinion, it may not be the same as yours, but there again i do not shoot steel targets with a shotgun so do not appreciate the issues that may need to be overcome for your style of shooting.

I do agree that shooting is a very divisive sport... after all, fowlers had no support back in the 90's from other shooting groups when lead was banned for them.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

nic wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:14 am Typical unhelpful divisive shooters attitude.
No it is an opinion, it may not be the same as yours, but there again i do not shoot steel targets with a shotgun so do not appreciate the issues that may need to be overcome for your style of shooting.

I do agree that shooting is a very divisive sport... after all, fowlers had no support back in the 90's from other shooting groups when lead was banned for them.
[/quote]

"you didn't help me so fuk you" nice view.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#15 Post by Graham M »

I posted something about this sort of attitude a while back.
We never seem to learn do we. Divide and conquer.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
nic

#16 Post by nic »

Never said that i would not support if there was any action taken/polls etc.
I stated an opinion and a historical fact , agreeing that shooting is fractious.
i shoot far more disciplines than a lot of people, paper and live quarry and do a lot to publicise the good that shooting does.
Sorry if you felt that was not in agreement with you, but luckily people are allowed to have an opinion different to you, even on forum.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#17 Post by Pippin89 »

Nice to see the thread stayed on topic... lol
Sim G
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Sim G »

I’ve been shooting steel at clays for about 18 months now. Skeet and sporting towers are wooden at my local ground. Still using lead on vermin, ground and flying. Lead just seems to kill quarry better, which I appreciate is anecdotal, non-scientific and probably worthless as a judgement.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#19 Post by Pippin89 »

Sim G wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:04 pm I’ve been shooting steel at clays for about 18 months now. Skeet and sporting towers are wooden at my local ground. Still using lead on vermin, ground and flying. Lead just seems to kill quarry better, which I appreciate is anecdotal, non-scientific and probably worthless as a judgement.
What cartridges are you using out of interest? The only ones I shot on this day that I would consider were the Eley. The rest were not usable. But I only tried 3 types so would be interesting to know if others perform well enough. Someone there was raving about Hull Pro Steel.
Graham M

#20 Post by Graham M »

Are the Eley ones using potato wads
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.