Underlever choices

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

Underlever choices

#1 Post by lovemunkey187 »

I may have been seduced by tacticoolness of the Marlin Dark rifles. So am now kinda blinded to the more traditional styled ones.
But as that range of rifles are somewhat difficult to get and will be for the foreseeable, I am starting to look at my other options.

I have shot the Henry Golden Boy 22LR & Henry Yellow Boy .357 and wasn't hugely keen on the tube loading on them, I much prefer the side gate style like on the Marlins. I haven't had an opportunity to try a Chiappa.

The Chiappa Wildland Total Black and Henry Big Boy X Model, coming already threaded are big plusses.
What are the pros and cons between Chiappa, Henry & Marlin.
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Underlever choices

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I purchased a Rossi 24in stainless octagonal barrel 38/357 underlever in 1998 still in excellent condition and never had any problem with it.
only minor setback is it's a model 1894 with top eject so mounting a scope is somewhat of a problem, but I shoot it with an aperture sight.
It`s my 25m /50m rifle and it is very accurate.
Blighty

#3 Post by Blighty »

Biggest issue with the Henry X is getting your hands on one. Ordered one back in January………
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#4 Post by Lever357 »

Have a look at Uberti as well. Keep an eye out for auctions as lever actions quite often appear there too
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#5 Post by Geek »

Have you spoken to Roger at Rimfire Magic (South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies)?

SY19498 Henry Big Boy Steel rifle in .357 calibre, a fine example of the tube magazine loading lever action rifle in a popular calibre. This example has fibre optic sights fitted and is also supplied with a scope base. This one is in excellent all round condition with blued receiver and blued 20″ round barrel …… £750 https://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/secondhand-firearms/

Also, try Alan at A&A Gunsmiths https://www.aandagunsmiths.co.uk/

I purchased my .44 Marlin Dark from Roger. Alan at A&A 'slicked up' my Marlin .357 (very worthwhile having done), I have been very happy with the service from both companies.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#6 Post by FredB »

The Rossi is a 1892 Winchester with coil springs instead of leafs. I act as the club armourer and sort out problems---especially with Miroku Winchesters. I owned a Rossi myself for 10 years or so and there are a lot of them in our club. They are the only lever action rifle that i have never seen or heard of a problem with.
Fred
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#7 Post by Mauserbill »

FredB wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:19 pm The Rossi is a 1892 Winchester with coil springs instead of leafs. I act as the club armourer and sort out problems---especially with Miroku Winchesters. I owned a Rossi myself for 10 years or so and there are a lot of them in our club. They are the only lever action rifle that i have never seen or heard of a problem with.
Fred
Hello
Thanks Fred yes model 1892 twin rear locking lugs making for a strong action.
Later models have been spoilt by the addition of a top mounted safety switch, are they necessary " sorry my view only"
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#8 Post by shoppe »

When the pistols where stolen from us years ago I bought a winchester 94ae legacy. It had a 24 inch barrel as far as I can remember. I really liked it and shot 1000,s of rounds through it. Very accurate. The only problem with them is I broke about 6 of the cartridge lifters. It was easy to replace as spares WERE readily available. I bought 10 of them in one go. I sold the rifle many years ago.I would have bought another winchester if it was not for the lifter problem. I gave away my last new lifter to a fellow shooter about a year ago and he did not even say thank you!! Lesson learnt there! You would think he would be grateful as his rifle lifter broke and was unable to use his rifle for well over a year.
Anyway back to the story.
About 4 years ago I bought a new marlin SBL 357 from rimfire magic.it was at the start of the new Remington made rifles. I had read about how the Remington made marlins were meant to be not good but I can't fault my rifle in any way.
It has the 16" barrel ,all stainless steel and the laminated stock. It is very very good. Very accurate. Roger fitted a few bits to it ( before I picked up) and it really is a great wee rifle. The trigger is excellent. Ammo easy to load as it has the reduced pressure loading gate fitted.I have had no problems with it having fired about 2500 to 3000 rounds though it. All 25m / 50 meter loads.
I think they are getting harder to find and the cost is going up if you find one.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#9 Post by shoppe »

My marlin is the CSBL model, I forgot the C in the above.
Just seen the sportsman gun centre selling one, £2003 !!
That's about £450 more than I paid for my" tuned" rifle
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

Just out of interest these people have new machined cartridge lifters. I have had things off them before but I don't know about these days

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/winches ... -1_11.html
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.