Underlever choices

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

capper

Re: Underlever choices

#31 Post by capper »

There’s not much beats the Marlin 1894 in .357mag & if you like the dark series why not get a JM stamped rifle & convert it later, my guess is you probably won’t bother & continue to shoot the traditional model once you’ve tried one. Sights can be optics, lyman aperture or skinner, they all work well.
lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

#32 Post by lovemunkey187 »

I made my choice.

As can be seen on the "I've got a new rifle" thread, I got myself a Marlin 1894CB in .357

The shop I got it from had a couple of others on racks, but when I shouldered the Marlin it just felt better, more right than the other options. Hopefully I will get chance to give it a run out this week.
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#33 Post by DaveB »

IWe have a few lever-action rifles/carbines.

I bought a Rossi in .44 Mag almost 30 years ago, and still have it. It will happily use .44 Spl too. My wife has a much newer Rossi in .44-40.

I also have a Second Model 1894 Winchester in .30-30 that has an awful gum wood stock marked "City of Toronto" so probably used at the county jail. Fortunately it still has the saddle ring. Most of those had had theirs removed. UNfortunately the heads pacing is off, and the barrel is pitted. Finding somebody to rebarrel it has been harder than I thought.

I inherited a model 94 Commemorative, which I keep for sentimental reasons - I do not foresee ever firing it. Pity my uncle threw away the box, somewhere between 1969, and 2000.

Finally, a Trapper Model 94 - a transitional model with a saddle ring, rebounding hammer (vice half-cock), no manual safety, and traditional top eject, which I prefer. Somewhere around I have a 3-shot cloverleaf I fired at 200 yards. Not bad. I think the Angle Eject loses something in the translation, and don't even get me started on stupid unnecessary manual safeties. Somebody once told me that the only safety I needed was the one between my ears, and I have found that very true over 45+ years of shooting.
Graham M

#34 Post by Graham M »

Yes, I picked up a Winchester Legacy AE in .357 and that had the new cross-bolt safety as well as a lever grip safety. More safeties than you can shake a stick at. My little Marlin 39A just has the half cock safety and is just as safe, but!!!!, it's easy lighten the trigger and stone the sears etc, which is virtually impossible on the new models with all the bells and whistles.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#35 Post by Scrumbag »

GeeRam wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:03 pm
bradaz11 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:45 am
lovemunkey187 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:27 am Thank you all for the replies.

I would like the option of being able to put an optic of some kind on whatever I end up getting.
then you are limiting yourself to;

winchester 94Ae

marlin

henry
You can fit a rail/scope to a Chiappa Alaskan Take-down, in the forward scout scope position.

As much as I love my Uberti 1873, if I get to the point where my eyes are so bad that I can't really shoot the Uberti, I'll change it for one of these Chiappa Alaskan Take-Down 92's, as two club members have had them and they are nice enough to use, probably a bit better than a Rossi out of the box, and nicer to use than any of the half a dozen Marlins, I've had a go with.
I have a Chiappa Alaskan in .44 mag.

Shoots well enough with a 2.5x28 Leupold Scout Scope

(25m free hand standing, 240gr Shell House bullet and 6.5gr of Unique...there is always bloody one).

Best 100yd group:

(200gr XTP over I can't remember what, meant as a hunting load).

50 yd 240gr Nosler JSP over N110 at 50 yds:

Rifle itself:

I didn't like the peep mounted in front of the receiver so bought an XS rear sight and had it mounted at the back of the receiver for iron sight comps.

I've also shot it with a red dot sight and that was quite good fun too.

The take down feature is novel too.

I think if you want to shoot serious gallery rifle you would get a Marlin or Henry (Or something else you can mount the scope at the back of the receiver).

Best wishes,

Scrummy
lovemunkey187

#36 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Scrumbag wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:12 amRifle itself:

I didn't like the peep mounted in front of the receiver so bought an XS rear sight and had it mounted at the back of the receiver for iron sight comps.

I've also shot it with a red dot sight and that was quite good fun too.
Nice looking rifle, I like that XS rear sight.
lovemunkey187

#37 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Don't ask me how(because haven'tgot a f'in clue), but I managed to break the rear sight on my Marlin, before I even had chance to shoot it.
So I bought a Marble Arms bullseye rear sight.
I took it to the range last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Really nice bit of kit.
Attachments
20221108_114227.jpg
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#38 Post by Scrumbag »

Cheers luvmonkey187 and enjoy the Marlin.
Sky888
Home club or Range: RRPC, HTRPC, WHPC, NRA, EBSC

#39 Post by Sky888 »

I have a Marlin 1894 in .357 and I added the RPP parts on and for me makes the gun sooooo much nicer to mount and shoot!

11.jpg

12.jpg

Video link for the Marlin in action : https://drive.google.com/file/d/15IvjYQ ... sp=sharing

Also have the SGC 9mm LA and very different to traditional LA, still fun to shoot and way faster than a straight pull!

13.jpg

Video link for the SGC although Google still processing the file at the time of this post: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14NHK9x ... sp=sharing
lovemunkey187

#40 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Sky888 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:37 pm I have a Marlin 1894 in .357 and I added the RPP parts on and for me makes the gun sooooo much nicer to mount and shoot!

Also have the SGC 9mm LA and very different to traditional LA, still fun to shoot and way faster than a straight pull!
I do like the fore end of the RPP, but I just can't get behind the skeletonised stock. I know they're not, but they just look like they're too flimsy and uncomfortable.

Sometimes, I really like the look of those SGC. And then other times not so much.