Mosin PU dealers/sellers

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
James84

Mosin PU dealers/sellers

#1 Post by James84 »

Does anyone know who the stands/RFDs are/were at Phoenix who had Mosin PUs for sale? I am looking for one to buy (I'm after an original matching one, not a repro) and remember seeing several there for sale.

I have scoured the internet but cannot find any dealers advertising them, so wondered if anyone happens to know who the exhibitors were, or if anyone knows of anyone selling them?
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Mosin PU dealers/sellers

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
You will be very lucky to find an original matching Mosin Nagant Sniper.
Virtually every man and his dog have been producing lookalikes, some of which I must admit are very good, and the fakers are getting better all the time, when there's money to be made from the unsuspecting!
You can even now still get original scopes and mounts (Eastern Europe) also along with the stamps to complete a fake. Be very careful of everyone offering one as there are many disingenuous fraudsters. I don`t have a problem with copies. I have one myself. But it was sold as a copy, and I accepted that
Always remember the old maxim Caveat Emptor.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by bnz41 »

You have a PM with 2 that I beleive to be original.
James84

#4 Post by James84 »

Thank you both for the replies. I have been reading up in great detail on the tell tale signs of a repro so hopefully I'm prepared to dive into the world of Mosin PUs with relatively open eyes. bnz41 has sent me a very nice original one, so I'll start there. Thank you again :)
RJ156

#5 Post by RJ156 »

Not that I’ve been around long on shooting scene, but the handful of mosin PU snipers I’ve seen have been rotten as a pear!

And all have been over £1250 mark!

Not to say any worth having aren't out there, just there is a lot of garbage amoungst em.

After a small amount of messing I got my regular mosin shooting amazing and I’m gonna take some talking out of putting a repro PU on it I’m gonna need
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

RJ156 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:20 pm Not that I’ve been around long on shooting scene, but the handful of mosin PU snipers I’ve seen have been rotten as a pear!

And all have been over £1250 mark!

Not to say any worth having aren't out there, just there is a lot of garbage amoungst em.

After a small amount of messing I got my regular mosin shooting amazing and I’m gonna take some talking out of putting a repro PU on it I’m gonna need
The biggest issue with fitting a PU mount and scope onto a standard rifle is the bolt. The bolt on the standard rifle sticks straight out and fouls the scope so you can not chamber the round the original PU has a bent bolt to alleviate the problem. So if you want to build a replica you need some one who can bend the bolt for you.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

i've got a blow torch and a disregard for rifles
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

bradaz11 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:39 pm i've got a blow torch and a disregard for rifles
A blow torch is useless its a cut and but job you need to be a very good TIG welder to make it work. Take my word for it.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

I can TIG weld, but have no welder. or mosin, so it's academic really :)
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
James84

#10 Post by James84 »

So many repros out there, it is a minefield. I find it frustrating that from my ~1hr of research, I'm able to spot the obvious ones a mile off and I can see dealers claiming in full daylight they are 'genuine snipers'