Online Medical

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Steve12345

Online Medical

#1 Post by Steve12345 »

Hi,

Has anyone used one of the online medical providers for their SGC medical? My GP charges £140 now and the online ones all seem be around £75. A quick google showed a few so wondered if anyone had any experience with them, although I guess they all do the same thing? Hopefully my GP surgery will send over my records in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks
Polchraine

Re: Online Medical

#2 Post by Polchraine »

BASC are very supportive and they have commented on how well it works. If you are a member you can go through them and request a referral which can be as little as £50.

Your GP surgery cannot refuse to send your notes and it must be a full set, not a summary sheet either.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

We used Medcert for my missus SGC. It took longer than advertised and we had to chase a few times to get it done but otherwise was ok. As our new doctor refuses to do them it was our only option.
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

I know a few people that have used Medicert because of 'conscientious objectors' 8-) kukkuk and they said once Medicert had their info it was done in a couple of weeks but more than one of them had to constantly chase their GP to get the records sent over
DVC
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

We've been over this before.
Get your NHS records from your surgery - they have to supply them within 30 days.
Send records and £60 to Medcert - usually takes about three weeks for them to respond with their doctor's interpretation of your records.
Geek
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#6 Post by Geek »

I have used MedCert. My GP took over eight weeks to send the info to MedCert, but once received MedCert responded quickly, they also chased my GP regularly (in additional to me chasing too).

I would have no hesitation in using medCert.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

The Gun Pimp wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:08 am We've been over this before.
Get your NHS records from your surgery - they have to supply them within 30 days.
Send records and £60 to Medcert - usually takes about three weeks for them to respond with their doctor's interpretation of your records.
Thats what the policy says anyway. A bit like FAC/SGC renewals are supposed to be done in 12 weeks lol
DVC
Steve12345

#8 Post by Steve12345 »

Thanks all, am awaiting GP records then will hopefully be ready to apply shortly. Hopefully it gets turned around within the 12 weeks.
SevenSixTwo

#9 Post by SevenSixTwo »

My renewal FAC/SGC is due in May. I intend to apply mid/end of February but how soon (when) should I get the Medical Certification done?

My GP wants £120 + VAT so that isn't happening. Don't they realise that photocopying all my medical records is going take them way, way, WAY longer than just getting a GP to skim-read through?
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#10 Post by hitchphil »

NRA & NSRA members get 10% off Medcert. use ur membership number in the comments box when applying.

Ther GP is supposed to send records within a certain time from request remind them of that.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?