Climate Change

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Rockhopper

Re: Climate Change

#21 Post by Rockhopper »

3% just doesn't seem right to me given that for instance Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station emits around 10 million tons of CO2 a year, and that's one of just many coal fired power stations around the world. Plus all the other emitters.
artiglio

#22 Post by artiglio »

Christel
Site Admin

#23 Post by Christel »

I do not think 3% is correct either, still trying to find out how that figure was reached.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#24 Post by Sandgroper »

Christel wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:15 pm Would be nice if someone could explain that 3% indeed?
I think the old saying " Lies, Damn lies and Statistics" comes into play - various papers imply that the range is anywhere from 2-50%, with the major argument being is an annual contribution or a culumative one.
I also read the abstract from a scientic paper that suggests that since climate chage has started, human influence is negligible as CO2 emitions are primarily being driven be temperature, which causes a positive feedback loop and won't stop until it causes negative feedback loop to kick in and reverse it.

I admit, this is akin to my thoughts - we kicked it off and are now in damge limition mode until equalibrium is restored...the question is, "How long will it take and how many will be around to see it?"

Edit: Apparently the 3% came from an IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) report - haven't found or read it myself...
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#25 Post by channel12 »

I would be more convinced that there was a real climate emergency if the COP conferences were done virtually instead of thousands of people flying in to attend using their private jets. I'm looking at you John Kerry and others of your ilk.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#26 Post by Les »

The biggest problem facing the earth is not CO2 levels, it is population levels. The earth can cope with CO2, but it cannot cope with increasing numbers of people who are competing for limited resources.
What we need is a good flood, or a severe asteroid strike. That'll give all the so-called 'experts' something to chew on. teanews
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

Les wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:55 pm The biggest problem facing the earth is not CO2 levels, it is population levels. The earth can cope with CO2, but it cannot cope with increasing numbers of people who are competing for limited resources.
What we need is a good flood, or a severe asteroid strike. That'll give all the so-called 'experts' something to chew on. teanews
The way things are going it wont be long before the Russians sort out the population levels for us. It is only going to get worse until some one puts a gun to his head.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#28 Post by DaveB »

Here in New Zealand we have already stopped new oil and gas exploration, slapped a tax on non-electric vehicles (even though our electrical generation capacity could not possibly keep up with increased numbers of electric vehicles) and now they want to put such onerous requirements on farmers that an estimated 1-in-5 will go out of business.

NZ is responsible for about 1/10th of one percent of the world's emissions. Meanwhile China and India are building literally hundreds of new coal-fired power plants. Any savings we might make in NZ would be wiped out in seconds by current emissions by China and India. In fact if NZ and all our emissions disappeared from the world overnight, it would make an absolute maximum of three weeks' difference to the estimated date when it all goes to hell.

So in my view it simply is not worth us sacrificing our standard of living just to be SEEN to be doing 'our share'. I say sod the whole idea.
Blackstuff

#29 Post by Blackstuff »

While that hyper virtue signalling horse is in charge of NZ you haven't got a hope in hell! :bad:
DVC
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#30 Post by DaveB »

Blackstuff wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:44 am While that hyper virtue signalling horse is in charge of NZ you haven't got a hope in hell! :bad:
Sadly, very true.