Why do I hardly ever see .243/6mm of the FAC threads?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Why do I hardly ever see .243/6mm of the FAC threads?

#1 Post by Itskeith »

Hi,

I’m still hoping to visit a shooting club before Christmas after we have moved to the South West.

I’m still busy here convalescing and reading up as much as I can, which has raised a few questions (to say the least). Here is one of them that I’m hoping you can help me with. I know this is a bit running before you can walk, but I am curious …

Question: Why do I hardly ever see .243/6mm of the FAC threads?

I have read a lot of FAC threads where people have applied for either:

0.223 / 5.56mm or
0.308 / 7.62mm

And very often both.

Yet I hardly ever see any applications for 0.243 / 6mm.
I’m guessing that this is a valid entry (as they are the same calibre)?

And I was just wondering why this was?
Is it because:
.223 and .308 are just more popular purchases for a first full-bore rifle?
.243 burning barrels more quicker than some others calibers makes it less popular?
.223 cheaper to feed?
.308’s more popular historically, so a greater choice of secondhand rifles and can enter Target Competitions with them? .... considered More Fun ?

Also,
Does a ‘vague’ 6mm entry then allow a purchase of any 6mm later e.g. 6mm BR, 6mm xc, 6mm ppc etc.

Would appreciate your thoughts

Thanks in anticipation,
Keith

PS. Think that's it on the question front for now lol
dta europe

Re: Why do I hardly ever see .243/6mm of the FAC threads?

#2 Post by dta europe »

Simples…. People are dafties

.243 is simply an AMAZING calibre. Get a fast twist and there is nothing it cant do.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

I have a 6mmbr which is an even more AMAZING calibre. :) (and I've had .243's too.)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

A 243 would make a good target round with a 105gn bullet but most factory 243 rifles have too slow a twist to stabilise a heavy bullet. The lighter bullets wouldn't be so good at longer ranges.
In theory - if you can get '6mm centrefire' on your FAC it would cover any 6mm cartridge but most police forces will want you to specify the actual cartridge - 243 Win or 6mmBr or 6mmCreedmoor etc
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

.243 is traditionally a hunting calibre, rather than target shooting. There are more target shooters. Simples.
DVC
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#6 Post by Peter Leigh »

I find the 243 can do nearly everything from the small 55gr to 100gr with 1/10 twist. I too was badly misled that you should apply for 308/223 because everyone has these. It does have bad press for being a barrel burner but a good modern barrel lasts for many thousands of rounds with reduced loads. Flat shooting ,and up to 1000yds, mine shoots 1/4 moa with target loads,(whats there not to like?? ) Its my goto rifle,and wouldnt leave the house without it. (oh nearly forgot as a bonus very little recoil)
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

I use a Tikka .243 (6.18mm) for foxing using a 70grn TNT bullet. It's only a 1-10 twist but still shoots 100grn bullets OK but I prefer to use the lighter, faster bullets for my foxing and leave the heavier .308 150grn for deer.
Put a moderator on the front and you hardly know you are firing it.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

1066 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:51 pm I have a 6mmbr which is an even more AMAZING calibre. :) (and I've had .243's too.)
Aren't they the same calibre? ;)
Itskeith wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:14 pm ....
Also,
Does a ‘vague’ 6mm entry then allow a purchase of any 6mm later e.g. 6mm BR, 6mm xc, 6mm ppc etc.
See the other thread - the ~HO have directed Farearms Departments to stop issuing vague calibre ranges, but if they do then you can buy a '6mmBR Rifle' or any other 6mm rifle on a '6mm Rifle' slot.
Some RFDs can get a bit funny about this if they don't know but it is correct even if not the right way according to the HO. But it is the FLD that has made the mistake in allowing the vague slot not the FAC holder for exercising their right to acquire.

The 6mm as a .243 is not that popular on the range as it hasn't had the PR despite it being very good ballisticly. Mostly because there are not a lot of good target rifles available chambered for it. 223/5.56 and 308/7.62 are very common in many different rifle designs so appeal to a wider audience, that and ammo being readily available and a lot cheaper.

Until someone comes and reinvents the wheel and calls it a 6mm Creedmore it will stay like that.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#9 Post by Peter Leigh »

American 10 min video about the 243.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNxbsn4jcF4
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/