Bipod investment consideration

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Bipod investment consideration

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all,
I currently have an el cheapo harris copy on my M14. Although happy with the long range results, I wondered if further investment is worthwhile ?
Having watched videos of how various bipods react (such as movement underweight), I was thinking of investing in a better bipod to perhaps improve .
I Looked at the accutac, but are pricey, and wondered if worth it ? Bearing in mind that my gun is a straight-pull with a 24 inch medium-heavy barrel, hence my expectations should be limited anyway ?

Any advice is appreciated !

Thanks
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Bipod investment consideration

#2 Post by Sim G »

You might be surprised how “different” a genuine Harris feels compared to a Chinese rip-off…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#3 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks, should I try a real Harris first ?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Borrow a harris of a shooting buddy and try it.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

I moved away from the Harris offerings my bipods are all Fortmeier.(Not cheap)
Except for my long range jobby that is fitted with a Shooting Shed Stotteben F/TR Bipod.
Depends what you are looking for Horses for courses.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

My last trip to Bisley I had the opportunity to shoot a Harris style (I think it was actually a Harris but can't be sure) and a proper FTR one on skids from Dolphin. The difference was night and day. The FTR one was a million times more stable and repeatable. The Harris one dug small holes in the ground so a) got lower, and b) was then stuck in one place. Wouldn't be as big of a problem when the ground is hard but even so I would take the dolphin FTR any day of the week.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

The Shooting Shed offering is similar to the Dolphin.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#8 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks very much, I will certainly try some other options.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by Dark Skies »

dirtbag wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:19 pm Hi all,
I currently have an el cheapo harris copy on my M14. Although happy with the long range results, I wondered if further investment is worthwhile ?
Having watched videos of how various bipods react (such as movement underweight), I was thinking of investing in a better bipod to perhaps improve .
I Looked at the accutac, but are pricey, and wondered if worth it ? Bearing in mind that my gun is a straight-pull with a 24 inch medium-heavy barrel, hence my expectations should be limited anyway ?

Any advice is appreciated !

Thanks
If you compare a Chinese knock off to the original item, you're going to notice the difference immediately.
If you' compare a good quality 'generic' copy of an original, then probably not so much.
There's only so much stability you can buy before the rest of the 'value' is taken up by brand name and snobbery.
If you want really excellent stability - a cheap sandbag has always been my preferred support. The downside is lugging them about. :)

A good option is the Spartan Javelin range. Whilst not exactly cheap, they are not in the absurd price range of some of the fancy sticks.
They are also practical as you buy various different fitting mounts to stay in place on your rifle and then swap your one bipod about between them all.
You can also buy legs of varying lengths to swap about the main bipod frame. This keeps the price down a bit.
I have a set with various mounts on different rifles, and I've been very pleased with the quality and usability.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/c637-bipods-a ... /show=all/
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Cornish-Viking
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers, Cornwall Rifle Club, Duchy Shooting Association & Launceston Rifle and Pistol Club

#10 Post by Cornish-Viking »

Ive got the Ascu-Tac HD-50. So solid.
- Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor/MDT ACC
- Schmeisser LMR 223
- 1942 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1
- Bergara B14r Carbon
- CZ 457 Long Range Precision Gen2
- Kriss Defiance DMK
- GSG 1911
- Beretta 686E 12g

https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/