red dot and holographic sights

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

drone

Re: red dot and holographic sights

#11 Post by drone »

wv2.jpg
I fitted one to my mod 94 30/30, I won't say they are the most accurate things under the sun as the dot is 3moa but perfectly adequate, if your eyesight is good, out to about 150 yards bearing in mind the 30/30 has a trajectory like a fully drawn longbow.
I suggest the biggest issue with them is that they may not be as robust as other optics. I bought mine with driven boar in mind which tend to be fairly close range shooting where 100 yards is a very long shot.
They work well on shotguns where a suitable adaptor can be acquired for ventilated rib types quite inexpensively FWIW I got mine for my winchester from reddotmate.com for about £15 and it worked well, shotgun ones (n steel) are about £3 more.
My sight comes with an eternal warranty against breakage, if they can't fix it they'll replace it but it isn't a £25 one
The glass itself is fantastically clear and, as it doesn't magnify, one can shoot with both eyes open which may be a help to some.
Many years ago I fitted a Hawke 1x30 red dot on an old BSA airsporter and that was excellent,in fact my son still uses it.
I realise the OP was discussing fitting to a rimfire but I thought that it may be helpful to show they can be unaffected by a gun with a fairly healthy recoil, which my 6 pound gun possesses with factory ammo.
majex45
Home club or Range: Hastings

#12 Post by majex45 »

I use the tubular type of red dot. They look like a very short telescopic sight but without the "waist".
I think one is branded Hawke and the other redpoint. They have about 40 to 50 mm lenses. One is red dot and the other red/green. Both x1 magnification (ie none). One can change the dot size the other is fixed, both have variable brightness.
Mounted over the receiver on my 10/22 and Marlin 357 they allow good accuracy at 20 yards, I find them easier to shoot than with a magnifying scope, standing - unsupported.
It's true that if you have uncorrected astigmatism the dot is not round, mine looked like a comma until I got my new glasses, now it's more like a comet (still not exactly round).
I prefer the tube type to the open "holovision" type as the dot is in the middle of the ring and I don't end up hunting for the dot.
For precision I can shoot as well as with open sights, for more practical shooting they are the dogs b***s.
Give them a whirl and see.
Sky888
Home club or Range: RRPC, HTRPC, WHPC, NRA, EBSC

#13 Post by Sky888 »

Vortex as a brand are excellent with their VIP lifetime warranty and reasonably priced items! Their base model is a Crossfire Red Dot that can be bought for around £150. Well worth getting to try out on various guns. The sight comes on a mount that can be removed to lower the sight line to be closer to the bore. I use many models of Vortex and love them! They also offer a holographic model, the UH-1 I think it's called, but can't justify the purchase at the moment.