Winter storage of firearms

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Winter storage of firearms

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I am looking for suggestions on the best way to store my firearms during the winter months.
My storage boxes are located in my unheated garage (With approved security measures) my boxes are lined with carpet and the rifles are all in slips.
What products can I use on the wood and metalwork for long term winter storage, paying particular attention to bore preservation.
Mike 01
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Winter storage of firearms

#2 Post by Mike 01 »

I'm not sure the carpet is a good idea for the winter period, because it might retain moisture and stay cold and damp - others may have different views though. Otherwise, I would use a Napier VP90 sachet in each box and make sure that each bore is well oiled with something like Break Free CLP.
ukrifleman

#3 Post by ukrifleman »

I lined my cabinets with polystyrene sheet which doesn't retain moisture and is warm to the touch.
I agree that carpet might retain moisture.
I would also recommend that each firearm is checked for moisture on a regular basis.
ukrifleman
redcat
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#4 Post by redcat »

Storing guns in slips is not a good idea for the reason stated above. Anything that will absorb moisture should not be coming into contact with the guns.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#5 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Thanks, never thought of polystyrene sheeting, off to B and Q see what they have, nice good thick ones I hope.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#6 Post by hitchphil »

Its not good for guns to be left all alone in a cold steel safe & unused. They will feel unloved. So just wrap-up warm & keep on shooting...............

If not then apply oil! to cleaned metal & take out of the wood if needs. I put mine in cotton gunsocks that are impregnated with a basic oil. The other problem isn't moisture, its oxygen, that drives corrosion, rust inhibitors (the paper some tools are wrapped in) give of a vapour that displaces air, so oxygen. Other ways to do that are blow the cabinet with a gas then shut the door (co2 from a sodastream etc or a co2 capsule for a pistol). Silica gel will gather moisture so put some in the bottom. the humidity needs to be below 60RH to slow corrosion down mins is 45% below 40 & you get static elecy - thats fun if storing primers in there too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274291096918 ... 4388723966
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#7 Post by Mattnall »

hitchphil wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:15 pm Its not good for guns to be left all alone in a cold steel safe & unused. They will feel unloved. So just wrap-up warm & keep on shooting...............
This is the only way to be save those firearms.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Chapuis

#8 Post by Chapuis »

My solution is to not own any summer guns. All my guns are used all year around.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

My guns are kept inside a warm centrally heated house so I don't have that problem
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

Cheers for that. Just thought it would be ideal to wrap my lathe chucks in when they are swapped over and put into their storage box. :good:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.