Here we go again - Starmer says need to tighten gun laws

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
kevinww

Re: Here we go again - Starmer says need to tighten gun laws

#61 Post by kevinww »

So now we have had 20 minutes of BBC anti gun rhetoric this morning with MP for Devon calling for a total overhaul of gun laws because the Police fecked up in a major way and can't be trusted to
follow the current procedures and he wonders how many other forces aren't following the procedures as gun violence is rising, what an asre.
Blackstuff

#62 Post by Blackstuff »

The video of the perpetrators assault (GBH downgraded to ABH) which caused him to have his guns taken off him has now been released. Its a completely unprovoked attack on 2 teenage children and to a level you'd only expect a drunk person who was in a prolonged exchange with the other person would commit, proper pyscho stuff. Supposedly the video never got put before the FLD staff before or during the confiscation of his guns, and apparently not before they decided to return his shotgun. Utterly unbelievable, and now the shooting community is apparently going to have to take the rap for the Polices failings ****
DVC
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#63 Post by Pete »

Check this out:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... thShooting

A shotgun is a firearm, so why do the rules/vetting procedures have to be different from any other firearm?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Graham M

#64 Post by Graham M »

Sir Julian Lewis
(New Forest East) (Con)

Is it correct, as has been reported, that in this tragic case, the murderer’s mother appealed to the police to remove the returned firearm from him and was ignored? If that is true, is it not also the case that no change in any licensing system will be able to compensate for that level of bungling incompetence?

Chris Philp
I am afraid to say that very bad decisions—in fact, wrong decisions—were made in this case. As the former policing Minister, my right hon. Friend the Member for North West Hampshire (Kit Malthouse) said, the wrong decisions were taken under the guidance in force both in 2018, when the licence was first granted, and two or three years later, when the gun was confiscated and then returned. The IOPC has said that very clearly, and it has said that two or three officers of Devon and Cornwall police made the wrong decision at the time. My right hon. Friend is right to say that a change of guidance would not have helped, because the wrong decisions were made under the guidance at the time. However, we need to make sure that the guidance is robust and comprehensive and that training is comprehensive. It is with those purposes in mind that we will respond to the three reports in 60 days or so.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

#65 Post by paul mercer »

Have just e-mailed Allison Hernandez the Devon & Cornwall police commissioner with my views on this whole mess up and the possible consequences for gun owners.
It will be interesting to see their reply ( if they do!) and what they say!

#66 Post by 1066 »

Peter Squires (Gun control network) is spouting off again:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/g ... 2e7c&ei=10
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Graham M

#67 Post by Graham M »

Peter Squires....."A member of the Gun Control Network".
Which one is he ? the third one or the forth??? (do they have four members????)
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

#68 Post by paul mercer »

Here is the reply, totally bland and didn't answer a single point that I made
Dear Mr Mercer
The Commissioner is very aware of the delays experienced by members of the public and businesses due to the Devon, Cornwall and Dorset firearms licensing department and feels this is wholly unacceptable.
I can assure you this matter is receiving close attention both by Devon and Cornwall Police and the Police and Crime Commissioner. The Home Office is also taking a close interest in the performance of police forces that are not dealing with this matter with sufficient speed and thoroughness.
The matter was discussed locally again recently when the Commissioner questioned the senior leadership of the Force calling for more information and answers from the police on their plans. The police has an improvement plan in place to get on top of the backlogs and correct the delays in processing. The Commissioner recognises the amount of work that is being undertaken to rectify the issues in the department however is yet to be assured that a sustainable and stable system is in place. This scrutiny by the Police and Crime Commissioner will continue. The backlogs and delays will take some time to fix but the Commissioner will continue to hold the Chief Constable to account for performance.
The Commissioner is in regular dialogue with the British Association of Shooting and Conservation whom she met again recently with the Police and Crime Commissioner for Dorset. The Commissioner has also met with the National Gamekeepers Organisation who represent those who rely on their firearms for work and has also accepted an invitation to meet with the Gun Trade Association to hear their concerns.
At the Police and Crime Panel on 27 January, the Commissioner announced an investment of £600,000 into firearms licensing for the coming year.
The Commissioner and Chief Constable are in ongoing discussions about the next steps for firearms licensing in Devon and Cornwall. These are not yet concluded and will in some respect depend upon further matters still to be finalised following the Keyham shootings. The Home Office is expected to make further announcements soon also on licensing matters from a national perspective.
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#69 Post by bradaz11 »

paul mercer wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:30 am Have just e-mailed Allison Hernandez the Devon & Cornwall police commissioner with my views on this whole mess up and the possible consequences for gun owners.
It will be interesting to see their reply ( if they do!) and what they say!
thats probably because she is in serious bad books all round for other failings.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Polchraine

#70 Post by Polchraine »

paul mercer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:19 am Here is the reply, totally bland and didn't answer a single point that I made
Dear Mr Mercer
The Commissioner is very aware of the delays experienced ...
So, you wrote to teh Commissioner and one of their minions replied.

Can I suggest you write again and ask for te Commissioner to respond

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.