Email from nra concerning rco test

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Email from nra concerning rco test

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

Last year I authorised payments of lots of hundreds of pounds for RSO and RCO training of my members that have no intention to ever visit Bisley.
The only reason I put these Guys through the training is because the MOD insist we have these qualified RSO and RCO people and most of the time because of the ranges available to us up North they are overseing 25 yard Barrack ranges.
Mostly they are over seeing 100 yard ranges and ocasionally 300 yard ranges and if we are really lucky once or twice a year we might get a 600 yard range.

In other words not value fo the money we are laying out.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#12 Post by phaedra1106 »

One of our RCO's has done the online RSO test, £53 and a further £9.50 for a badge!!!

Definetly not just trying to get as much money as they can out of their members then ****
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

Thats diabolical.
I am currently checking out some none MOD ranges and definatelly nothing to do with the NRA. It will incur some extra traveling but I think in the long run it could work out financially. Only early days but if I think they have merit I am looking at running them alongside our normal shooting 2023 program and absorbing the costs. I am gathering info with a view to putting my proposals to the membership.
RSO qualifications not necessary RCO qualifications not necessary. Safe shootes cards not necessary. You must have a current firearm certificate and if you want to shoot shot gun you need a current Shot gun Certificate.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#14 Post by phaedra1106 »

Let me know what you find, I''d be very interested in having my club do the same and maybe share any set up costs etc.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
toffe wrapper

#15 Post by toffe wrapper »

Just ask the NRA training people why, and they will happily explain. You can then enlighten others as to why.
Or you can moan on the internet NRA bashing in ignorance.

TW
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#16 Post by mag41uk »

Alpha1 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:21 am Last year I authorised payments of lots of hundreds of pounds for RSO and RCO training of my members that have no intention to ever visit Bisley.
The only reason I put these Guys through the training is because the MOD insist we have these qualified RSO and RCO people and most of the time because of the ranges available to us up North they are overseing 25 yard Barrack ranges.
Mostly they are over seeing 100 yard ranges and ocasionally 300 yard ranges and if we are really lucky once or twice a year we might get a 600 yard range.

What has visiting Bisley got to do with it? The MOD dictate what quals are required for civilians to shoot on MOD ranges.
The NRA have to toe the line and put in place an acceptable practice agreed by the MOD. The RCO is a bolt on to the RSO.
If you shoot at a private club you can do whatever you want - no need for any quals.

The ranges available to you are what they are. The NRA cant do much about YOUR access to them.

And why wouldnt you have to pay for renewals? Do you know how many NRA staff are involved in dealing with this? The fees for RCO renewal is equal to something like £15 a year.
Thats about 13 rounds of 308.

I have said this before on here - set up your own shooting association find some land, build a range and crack on.
Plenty of folk travel much further than you would to shoot at Bisley.

Do football supporters complain that Wembley is in London? Or Wimbledon is in London?

Have you actually canvassed your members to find out if a group would travel to Bisley?
Or have you denigrated the NRA in front of them so often you have removed any interest from that happening?

If a group of your more open minded members were interested it would be my privilege to meet with them and to make their visit as rewarding as possible.
Alpha1

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

The club visits Bisley several times a year. (I dont.) Our Club runs NRA RSO and RCO training courses in the North east of England as far as I am aware we are the only Club to do this. You have probably met some of them they have been visiting Bisley for over 30 years.
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

toffe wrapper wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:27 pm Just ask the NRA training people why, and they will happily explain. You can then enlighten others as to why.
Or you can moan on the internet NRA bashing in ignorance.

TW
I did ask them after receiving calls from my Members asking what was going on. They explained it was there cock up and to ignore the emails.
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

I would hardly call following up my members concerns with a NRA cock up ignorance. The ladies who look after membership etc at the NRA are spot on by the way.
In the last ten years of dealing with them as a Club Secretary I have never had an issue.
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

mag41uk wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:44 pm
Alpha1 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:21 am Last year I authorised payments of lots of hundreds of pounds for RSO and RCO training of my members that have no intention to ever visit Bisley.

What has visiting Bisley got to do with it? The MOD dictate what quals are required for civilians to shoot on MOD ranges.
The NRA have to toe the line and put in place an acceptable practice agreed by the MOD. The RCO is a bolt on to the RSO.
If you shoot at a private club you can do whatever you want - no need for any quals.

The ranges available to you are what they are. The NRA cant do much about YOUR access to them.

And why wouldnt you have to pay for renewals? Do you know how many NRA staff are involved in dealing with this? The fees for RCO renewal is equal to something like £15 a year.
Thats about 13 rounds of 308.

Do football supporters complain that Wembley is in London? Or Wimbledon is in London?

Have you actually canvassed your members to find out if a group would travel to Bisley?
Or have you denigrated the NRA in front of them so often you have removed any interest from that happening?

If a group of your more open minded members were interested it would be my privilege to meet with them and to make their visit as rewarding as possible.
I have been shooting for over 40 years in the early days I was a NRA member. But over time I realized the NRA is not a NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION the NRA is Bisley. It should just come clean and change its name to the Bisley Rifle Shooting Club. They have done nothing to develop any thing range wise in the North East of England. I source ranges and opportunities for my Club members including helping to bring RSO and RCO training locally so people dont have to spend stupid money to travel to Bisley. The NRA cant do much to access to our ranges. So who can is that not there breif. You suggest we buy a piece of land and do our own thing a typical response from a Bisley Shooting Club member we are all right jack so screw you. Crack on with your 25 yard and 100 yard ranges and on a Good day well God bless you we have a 300 yard range wow. A typical Bisley shooter.