ear protection

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Shpagin

ear protection

#1 Post by Shpagin »

I am new to shooting, so would value the advice of those of you with lots of experience. What sort of ear protection do you use?

I have only recently realised that electronic sets existed (when I went online), but am I right in saying that they do not protect your ears any more than passive sets? Is it simply that electronic ones let more benign sound through so that you can hear chat etc? I think when I am shooting I just want to concentrate on the shooting itself, so my inclination is to save my cash and just get passive earphones. Is that ok?

Are passive earphones all pretty much equal?
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

Re: ear protection

#2 Post by DanTheMan »

Shpagin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:21 pm Are passive earphones all pretty much equal?
They have dB ratings so depending on how much protection you need i.e. smallbore or fullbore you can buy quieter ones. That said a second hand set of green ex army Peltors can be had for a tenner and would do you perfectly for the first few years of shooting.
Graham M

#3 Post by Graham M »

I tend to use a set of Peltors that my son gave me from when he was working airside when he worked at Fedex. For clay shooting I use the electronic ones, that way I can hear the talking so I can hold off if something crops up.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

Peltor Sporttac for me,

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Rookandrabbit

#5 Post by Rookandrabbit »

I use peltors also had them for years great brand but does anyone else have that hearing problem of not hearing the tick on a watch but low engine noises esp Diesel engines can be heard for miles?
Graham M

#6 Post by Graham M »

Yes, I have high frequency problems. I can her men talking on the TV but when women talk they just sound like a fuzzy noise and I can't understand a word.
Supposed to wear hearing aids all the time, but they make my ears sore, so I just wear them for watching TV.
My wife wanted to know why I didn't wear them when I went to the range. Silly cow lol lol lol
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Have you tried searching the forums?

This one appears regularly.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Rookandrabbit

#8 Post by Rookandrabbit »

Graham M wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:14 pm My wife wanted to know why I didn't wear them when I went to the range. Silly cow lol lol lol
Made my laughter out loud plus1 shakeshout shakeshout
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

You need to be able to form a cheek weld on the comb without the ear protectors dislodging. I couldn't achieve this, (and spent time/money trying), before finally settling on these:

https://3mpeltor.earshotcommunications. ... eu-yellow/

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#10 Post by ukrifleman »

I use MSA sordin electronic ear defenders for both full bore rifle and clay shooting.
The shape doesn't interfere with mounting either the rifle or shotgun and the sound dampening works well.
ukrifleman