cheaper safes

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

crismaqsood
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: cheaper safes

#11 Post by crismaqsood »

Sorry to highjack the subject but regarding ammo safes.... Do the need to be bolted to the wall too?

Thank you
Graham M

#12 Post by Graham M »

Yes
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
crismaqsood
Home club or Range: NRA

#13 Post by crismaqsood »

Graham M wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:07 pmYes
Much obliged 🙂
rox

#14 Post by rox »

bubbajvegas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:17 pm not quite time to get the safe yet but what are the general thoughts of the experienced on the cheaper safes 🤔
Given the choice between more space or a premium name like Brattonsound, I'll take more space every time (without giving-up multi-point locking etc).
nickredhill
Home club or Range: Reigate Miniature Rifle & Pistol Club

#15 Post by nickredhill »

I thought I'd share my story so others can avoid the same misstep.
I bought a second hand safe for £50 at the time that I submitted my FAC application. I thought this small 3 gun safe would do the job. I diligently fixed it to the wall with threaded rod and chemical bond, so that monkey isn't going anywhere!
Nine months later with new FAC and SGC in hand, I now have a scoped rifle and a 12 bore and there's not much space left. The scope takes up a lot of space so if I want to put a third gun in there I'm going to have to put the 12 bore in with barrels separate from the stock, if it fits at all.
So, lesson learned is that a scope takes up one gun slot in a cabinet. In hindsight I should have got a 5 gun cabinet. I doubt I can reasonably remove my current safe from the wall so I'll have to add a second safe when I want to add a full-bore rifle and scope.
Polchraine

#16 Post by Polchraine »

nickredhill wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 am I thought I'd share my story so others can avoid the same misstep.
I bought a second hand safe for £50 at the time that I submitted my FAC application. I thought this small 3 gun safe would do the job. I diligently fixed it to the wall with threaded rod and chemical bond, so that monkey isn't going anywhere!
Nine months later with new FAC and SGC in hand, I now have a scoped rifle and a 12 bore and there's not much space left. The scope takes up a lot of space so if I want to put a third gun in there I'm going to have to put the 12 bore in with barrels separate from the stock, if it fits at all.
So, lesson learned is that a scope takes up one gun slot in a cabinet. In hindsight I should have got a 5 gun cabinet. I doubt I can reasonably remove my current safe from the wall so I'll have to add a second safe when I want to add a full-bore rifle and scope.
I will always suggest, thinking about how many guns you want, then rethinking about how many in 2 years (more), then ordering a safe at least one size larger

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#17 Post by billgatese30 »

Yep, always go as big as you physically can for the space you intend to place it, as who knows what the future will bring
Chris
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#18 Post by bradaz11 »

nickredhill wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 am I doubt I can reasonably remove my current safe from the wall so I'll have to add a second safe when I want to add a full-bore rifle and scope.
take all the nuts off. then using 2 of the nuts, screw them both onto one stud, stop as soon as 2nd nut is on fully. holding 2nd nut, undo 1st one so it tightens onto the 2nd, tightly. then use a ratchet to wind the stud out of the glue, using the 2nd nut. if it comes undone, do it up again, but tighter. once its out, crack the nuts apart again, and move onto the next stud.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#19 Post by hitchphil »

i got a 8 gun & 2 sets of keys for my uni club for £60 on Farcebook Marketplace - 5 mins from the range too so driving it sticking out the boot want a problem !
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#20 Post by Tommygunn »

hitchphil wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:05 pm i got a 8 gun & 2 sets of keys for my uni club for £60 on Farcebook Marketplace - 5 mins from the range too so driving it sticking out the boot want a problem !
I got a 15 gun one on ebay for 50quid from Sussex police, rolled up to the yard of the main station in Brighton in my battered old van to pick it up lol
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook