Firearms Storage near Oxford

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

Firearms Storage near Oxford

#1 Post by Plumose »

Can anyone recommend an RFD that I can store my (FAC) firearms with while my delayed certificate renewal process goes through?

(GP practices can be a real pain in the arse)
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Firearms Storage near Oxford

#2 Post by Dark Skies »

The trouble with Oxfordshire is there are so few dealers now. You might try Francis Lovel, in Witney. I've always found him very accommodating.
https://www.francislovel.com

Out of interest, how far in advance did you put in for your renewal?
The reason I ask is my FAC expires April 2024, and I've been wondering if putting my renewal in for December 2023 will be sufficient to compensate for being in the TVP area AND for my GP to get around to completing their box ticking.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Moved to correct forum, further mis-posts will be removed!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Plumose
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Plumose »

Dark Skies wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:27 pm The trouble with Oxfordshire is there are so few dealers now. You might try Francis Lovel, in Witney. I've always found him very accommodating.

The reason I ask is my FAC expires April 2024, and I've been wondering if putting my renewal in for December 2023 will be sufficient to compensate for being in the TVP area AND for my GP to get around to completing their box ticking.
It is due for renewal in March, but partly due to my stupidity the renewal isn't in yet.
I haven't been shooting much recently, so only noticed due to my club renewal paperwork, and then the next working day received a letter from TVP warning me that I had to get the renewal in more than 8 weeks in advance to get temporary cover if they didn't process in time.
I went in to the GP practice that day with the form they want filling in before you can complete your online renewal and now (3 weeks later) am still waiting on the GP, receptionist took the form and payment on the day I went in and when I chased today they said they treat it as a low priority and there is a backlog of low priority work ahead of it.
If they had that it could take 4 weeks plus when I went in I would probably have gone straight to one of the online services like MedCert (who also ask for slightly less money than the practice did).
Tallguy

#5 Post by Tallguy »

There is a gun shop in Banbury who may offer storage or go to EJ Churchill in Wycombe or try `Emmett & Stone just outside Marlow.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Tallguy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:48 pm There is a gun shop in Banbury who may offer storage or go to EJ Churchill in Wycombe or try `Emmett & Stone just outside Marlow.
I used Emmet & Stone to store all mine while I had a protracted house move. But 6 guns for 10 weeks meant a 200 quid bill when I was finally able to collect them (even with a little long term customer price discount applied)
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:27 pm The trouble with Oxfordshire is there are so few dealers now. You might try Francis Lovel, in Witney. I've always found him very accommodating.

When my TVP FAC was due for renewal we were still in the midst of full on Covid in 2020/21, and TVP told me to put the renewal in at least 12 weeks ahead of renewal date.
I also put in for a variation with the renewal, and got my GP stuff sorted out in just 4 weeks (which was a relief in the then circumstances) and put renewal in bang on the 12 weeks prior as instructed, but had the new FAC back from them 3 weeks later :good:
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

Plenty around - just depends on exactly where you are. I have just left one of my guns with William Powell in Banbury for service and I'm sure they do storage too.

The only time I needed one close to home, I went to a one man outfit who did contract work - but an RFD and left them all with him and only charged basically for him time taking them in and returning - something like 4 guns, 3 weeks £5/10.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Plumose
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Plumose »

Polchraine wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:25 pm Plenty around - just depends on exactly where you are. I have just left one of my guns with William Powell in Banbury for service and I'm sure they do storage too.

The only time I needed one close to home, I went to a one man outfit who did contract work - but an RFD and left them all with him and only charged basically for him time taking them in and returning - something like 4 guns, 3 weeks £5/10.
I am in Oxford itself, but the one you used sounds interesting, do you have any contact details?
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

Our club secretary has received an email from West midlands/Staffordshire asking us to put any renewals in at least 20 weeks in advance in the hope that they will be sorted out in some sort of time scale.
Prior to this, anyone sending in their renewals more than 8 weeks in advance would have had them returned.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.