Firearms Storage near Oxford

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Polchraine

Re: Firearms Storage near Oxford

#11 Post by Polchraine »

Plumose wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:34 pm
Polchraine wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:25 pm Plenty around - just depends on exactly where you are. I have just left one of my guns with William Powell in Banbury for service and I'm sure they do storage too.

The only time I needed one close to home, I went to a one man outfit who did contract work - but an RFD and left them all with him and only charged basically for him time taking them in and returning - something like 4 guns, 3 weeks £5/10.
I am in Oxford itself, but the one you used sounds interesting, do you have any contact details?
I have not used the local one man outfirt for a few years and unfortunately don't know where his contact details are - I drive past it weekly, although not quite sure exactly which house these days and he may well have retired (at a guess he would be 75 ish now).

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#12 Post by hitchphil »

Plumose wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:17 pm
Dark Skies wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:27 pm The trouble with Oxfordshire is there are so few dealers now. You might try Francis Lovel, in Witney. I've always found him very accommodating.
https://www.francislovel.com

Out of interest, how far in advance did you put in for your renewal?
The reason I ask is my FAC expires April 2024, and I've been wondering if putting my renewal in for December 2023 will be sufficient to compensate for being in the TVP area AND for my GP to get around to completing their box ticking.
It is due for renewal in March, but partly due to my stupidity the renewal isn't in yet.
I haven't been shooting much recently, so only noticed due to my club renewal paperwork, and then the next working day received a letter from TVP warning me that I had to get the renewal in more than 8 weeks in advance to get temporary cover if they didn't process in time.
I went in to the GP practice that day with the form they want filling in before you can complete your online renewal and now (3 weeks later) am still waiting on the GP, receptionist took the form and payment on the day I went in and when I chased today they said they treat it as a low priority and there is a backlog of low priority work ahead of it.
If they had that it could take 4 weeks plus when I went in I would probably have gone straight to one of the online services like MedCert (who also ask for slightly less money than the practice did).
Ask Medcert how long to do it? (you also get a discount for NRA/NSRA members) - its worrying that in the 'NHS crisis' post C19 etc they are downgrading such tasks that are clerical. if you do ask Medcert pls say on here how long they think ......... https://www.medcert.co.uk/
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#13 Post by Plumose »

hitchphil wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:06 pm
Ask Medcert how long to do it? (you also get a discount for NRA/NSRA members) - its worrying that in the 'NHS crisis' post C19 etc they are downgrading such tasks that are clerical. if you do ask Medcert pls say on here how long they think ......... https://www.medcert.co.uk/
I did look at MedCert, but the GP have up to 1 month to respond to the request for records, and I don't see them taking less time for that than they are for the just filling in the form
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

Plumose wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:18 am ... just filling in the form
It is a bit more than this unfortunately.
Unless they know you intimately they will need to read your notes and then fill in the form after consideration of any relevant information contained therein. This needs to be done by someone suitably qualified and they are so busy at the moment that these less than life threatening and extra (often lifestyle) requests are not a priority especially as they will have to fitted in in their private time and not NHS time.

I don't agree with it but I can understand why it often takes longer than we'd like.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Graham M

#15 Post by Graham M »

Mattnall wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:12 am
and they are so busy at the moment that these less than life threatening and extra (often lifestyle) requests are not a priority especially as they will have to fitted in in their private time and not NHS time.
Busy!!!!!!
My doctor hasn't seen anyone for the last 2 years. All calls for an appointment have to be triaged and if you need to see someone he will tell you to go to A&E.
I had Bursitis in my thigh last year and couldn't walk, and he just told me to go to A&A where I had to wait for over 7 hours to see someone. And then I was told that the relevant dept' had all gone home and he had to make an appointment for me to see the correct doctor. Took almost 3 weeks by which time I'd been suffering for over a month.
Had a problem with my shoulder 20 years ago and my old doctor sent me off to the chemist to get the steroid and injected me there and then. This new quack will simply tell you "It's a virus" and tell you to take paracetamol until it goes away.
Gawd knows how I will get on with him signing my renewal because he doesn't know anyone who used to go down to see the old doctors.
Busy my ar$e ****
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Plumose
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Plumose »

Mattnall wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:12 am
It is a bit more than this unfortunately.
Unless they know you intimately they will need to read your notes and then fill in the form after consideration of any relevant information contained therein. This needs to be done by someone suitably qualified and they are so busy at the moment that these less than life threatening and extra (often lifestyle) requests are not a priority especially as they will have to fitted in in their private time and not NHS time.

I don't agree with it but I can understand why it often takes longer than we'd like.
If they trust whoever did the form last time all they have to do is look and see if anything has changed, and since nothing does just fill in the form.

They were quick enough to take payment, and didn't mention anything about timing at that point (even though explained the urgency of it)
Plumose
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Plumose »

Just to update, I ended up lodging them with Francis Lovell yesterday, at £10 per month per gun.
majex45
Home club or Range: Hastings

#18 Post by majex45 »

Slightly off topic but...
Isn't it about time one of the shooting organisaions (one of the active ones I mean) put in some form of protest, judicial review, parliamentary question or sued a chief constable for not doing his duty.
We have been fobbed off by the FELOs for long enough with the long delays. We pay for our tickets and should be able to expect a reasonable service. I would suggest four to 6 weeks is adequate.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#19 Post by dromia »

signfunnypost lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol signfunnypost

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#20 Post by hitchphil »

majex45 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:08 pm Slightly off topic but...
Isn't it about time one of the shooting organisaions (one of the active ones I mean) put in some form of protest, judicial review, parliamentary question or sued a chief constable for not doing his duty.
We have been fobbed off by the FELOs for long enough with the long delays. We pay for our tickets and should be able to expect a reasonable service. I would suggest four to 6 weeks is adequate.
NGO's can't sue FLOs etc - they need a test case thats a good bet & a willing one............... who is a member so covered.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?