9mm Carbines

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: 9mm Carbines

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

If you don't have to reload against the clock for the type of shooting you're doing then there's no real advantage with box magazines. A lot easier if you have dexterity/finger issues though.
DVC
Sky888
Home club or Range: RRPC, HTRPC, WHPC, NRA, EBSC

#12 Post by Sky888 »

I find my SGC LA shoots fine, all be it a heavy rifle compared to my Marlin 1894. The lever action on the SGC is such a short throw that it most certainly will be the quickest to fire off with the tuned trigger around 3.5/4lbs pull. The Marlin also shoots great and still fast but also has a better after marker Ranger Point precision trigger, just the initial loading being the slowest. I have seen speed loaders for traditional lever actions available from a UK seller but they are not cheap! They do a 6round and a 10round tube speed loader from Neil Jones if I recall correctly.
Ballistol

#13 Post by Ballistol »

Hopefully some of the new Schmeisser SP9 owners will also offer an opinion on their recent acquisitions.
AdamC
Home club or Range: HRA

#14 Post by AdamC »

I’ve brought one of the SP9’s and I’m very impressed with it. I used it at SAW and it was plenty quick enough for say T&P 1. Positives: well made, no jams after the first 20 rds, it’s very AR modular so you can swap out bits for your preference. Negatives: the cocking handle attachment is fiddly (3 small Allen keys) so you wouldn’t remove it every time you clean it but they included a bore snake probably for this reason. I’ve also changed out the trigger as whilst I could live with it, it was a bit clunky.

I did send it to Nick @ Bradley Arms for a bit of a make over (my preference rather than anything particular.y wrong with the original set up).. he fitted a PRS stock, thicker quad rail hand guard, hogue grip, triggertech trigger (excellent service - he had it back to me in about a week).

As a CSR shot, the straight pull action suits me better than the SGC underlever, but it’s personal preference. At the time I went for the SP9 as Lantac was a longer waiting period. No regrets at all.
shotgun sam

#15 Post by shotgun sam »

Anyone tried a 9mm for foxes?
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Graham M

#16 Post by Graham M »

I asked for .357 for woodland fox once............thought the FEO was going to have a heart attack. 5mith
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#17 Post by billgatese30 »

I've heard lots of forum tales about people asking for 357 or 44 magnum for fox and aolq with mixed results, mostly being FEO dependent although who knows what was truth and what was forum boasting. It makes more than enough energy, with a decent heavy lead boolit it could certainly make an effective short range fox round. Perhaps ask your FEO what his thoughts are, see if he has a coronary or if he steers you towards a. 22 centrefire.
Chris
shotgun sam

#18 Post by shotgun sam »

billgatese30 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:06 pm I've heard lots of forum tales about people asking for 357 or 44 magnum for fox and aolq with mixed results, mostly being FEO dependent although who knows what was truth and what was forum boasting. It makes more than enough energy, with a decent heavy lead boolit it could certainly make an effective short range fox round. Perhaps ask your FEO what his thoughts are, see if he has a coronary or if he steers you towards a. 22 centrefire.
I have a 223 that I use for roe and foxes and a 17hmr for the closer range foxing, just fancied something else for the closer shots would be a bonus
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

shotgun sam wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:41 pm Anyone tried a 9mm for foxes?
I have the Any Other Lawful Quarry condition on my FAC so in theory there's nothing stopping me using my 9mm for foxes but i've got better tools for the job
DVC
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#20 Post by shugie »

I have the Lantac 9mm, having shot it from a rest on Melville I'd say it was plenty accurate at 50 yards, even with the short barrel I opted for. I was surprised how accurate it was.

I've shot it against lever actions and although I've not yet got the muscle memory, it's certainly fast enough to be competitive. I've not yet decided if I prefer the cocking handle directly on the bolt or set back a couple of inches on a cranked handle. You definitely need the bolt as far back as the handle will get it, needs the inertia to strip the next round off the magazine. The Lantac does not use Glock magazines, not sure how much difference, if any, that makes.
Careful now/that sort of thing