Ruger Bolt action rifles

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

Ruger Bolt action rifles

#1 Post by paul mercer »

Ruger used to make a .44 carbine, one of which I had until the 'Ban' on semi-auto full bore rifles.
I am interested in taking up gallery rifle shooting and I understand Ruger make (or have made) .38 and .44 bolt action rifles but I'm not sure if they have ever been imported to the UK - does anyone know if they are available here?
kevinww

Re: Ruger Bolt action rifles

#2 Post by kevinww »

Yes the model is Ruger 77 and its available in UK but i believe they are usually special order so it takes a while to get, i think mine took around 5 months, I have a 357 and a couple of friends have 44's.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#3 Post by Mattnall »

The 77/44 is, or at least has been available in the UK, one of my old club members had one many years ago. You don't see many of them about at all and they only have a 4 round magazine IIRC.
Most GRCF shooting requires a 6 or 10 round capacity so the 4 round magazine would be a bit limiting. Someone may make a larger magazine though. No doubt you'll get good at the mag changes but it would still limit you somewhat at comps.
But great for fun use I would expect.

ETA: Quick Google Search found this

It says 5-shot mags but I was always under the impression they were 4. Also mentions it is made in Italy - so it might be a football they're selling, who knows.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
kevinww

#4 Post by kevinww »

Usually 44 mags are 4 shot mags, 357 they are 5 shot.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#5 Post by Lever357 »

Why would you use a bolt action for gallery rifle shooting????
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Ballistol

#6 Post by Ballistol »

paul mercer wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:28 am Ruger used to make a .44 carbine, one of which I had until the 'Ban' on semi-auto full bore rifles.
I am interested in taking up gallery rifle shooting and I understand Ruger make (or have made) .38 and .44 bolt action rifles but I'm not sure if they have ever been imported to the UK - does anyone know if they are available here?
Haven’t seen any new .357, but some stainless synthetics in .44 mag did appear on the market last year through Viking Arms I believe. Two were bought at my local club and very nice they are, they shoot really well but are at a severe disadvantage for gallery rifle as already discussed reference magazine capacity.

They appear quite regularly s/h and generally attract a premium price but really are a bit of a niche offering.
JammyGuns

#7 Post by JammyGuns »

I used to have one in .44 (one of my biggest regrets in selling) and I'm actually in the process of acquiring another one now. They are very very nice imo.
MetalMagus
Home club or Range: Oop Norf....on a need to know basis

#8 Post by MetalMagus »

I have been looking for the Ruger M77 in 357. Quite a few showing on dealer website but none in stock when emailing them.

I emailed Ruger customer service in the US and they told me that they could not provide any updates as to when they would have any stock of the M77 in 357. They were focusing on better selling models with the biggest backlog.. Going to guess the new Marlins.

There are one or 2 M77 in 44 in stock in the UK. McAvoy's had one in stock on the 2nd of Feb.

Cheers

Sean
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#9 Post by Mattnall »

kevinww wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:29 pm Usually 44 mags are 4 shot mags, 357 they are 5 shot.
Ah, thank you. Only ever seen the 77/44.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

Had a Stainless Ruger 77 in .22Hornet some years ago. Had a strange two-piece bolt that had to be shimmed.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.