Length of medical records required for FAC Grant

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Triffid
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

Length of medical records required for FAC Grant

#1 Post by Triffid »

Has anyone had experience of Police rejecting an application for the grant of an FAC because the applicants medical records weren't long enough?

A new member of my Club has just has his application kicked back because his GP's medical records only go back 10 years . . . the Police want 30 years.

I've looked in the Statutory Guidance, but it makes no mention of how long a medical record is required. Nor can I find any information Googling it. It looks to me like the Police are making things up to manage their work-queue, but I wanted to check whether I've missed anything and whether anyone's dealt with such a requirement before.

My Club Sec will be talking to the NRA about it, which is probably the best route to get advice.

Thanks
Triffid
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Length of medical records required for FAC Grant

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Police making it up as they go along "Sounds about right" and they always seem to get away with it no matter the legislation or guidance.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

I suppose it depends on how old the applicant is?

A 20 year old with medical history only going back 10 years might not be as big a red flag to Plod, as say a 45 year old applicant with no medical history prior to age 35.

In the latter case I could easily see Plod not granting on that basis.
Tallguy

#4 Post by Tallguy »

My GP record ran to 150 pages. All the way back to stuff when I was in nappies. Every page went to Shootcert…..
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

Absolute Horlicks, 'ooman!

Does you want a 'tendency to throw a tantrum' or ' squeem and squeem until sick' recorded by a parent when you were age 7 months be used to deny you your right to posses an arquebus?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by Pete »

I knew someone who didn't have any medical history until he busted his ankle aged 45...........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Sounds like they are making it up as they go along to me. If you have been luckily enough to be very healty all your life why would you have a Medical record going back over ten year.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:42 pm Sounds like they are making it up as they go along to me. If you have been luckily enough to be very healty all your life why would you have a Medical record going back over ten year.
That's not what they mean by medical history is it. It means no medical records at all, i.e for some reason you have not been registered with a GP, hence no records...or a gap in records. This is why Plod will wonder why.
When younger I probably didn't have need to see a GP for years and years, but as previous poster I have a medical history that goes back to being an infant, as always been registered with a GP. The fact you have been healthy enough to not need to see one for years, doesn't mean you have no medical history.
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

There must be quite a few people who've moved around over the years, and whose "brown envelopes" have been lost.......

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Nothing to do with this thread but brown envolopes been lost sparked a memory. Years ago I bought a Hackney carriage buisness. I rang my doctors and booked a Private Drivers medical. I turned up on the day and was shown into my doctors consulting room and off we went on the scales. Height weight etc. He sat at his desk I grabbed a chair I looked at my file on his desk it was about 2 inches thick. You have an interesting medical history
David he said I am surprised you are still driving Busses. My reply was hang on a minute I have never drove a Bus in my life are you sure they are my records. He checked with a member of staff the 2 inch document disapeared and was replaced with a A4 piece of paper and he still charged me for the medical.