Incorrect info on .gov website

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

Re: Incorrect info on .gov website

#21 Post by PeterN »

As I understand it, a blank round is not a controlled item. A primed case is nothing more than a blank round.
Regards
Peter.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#22 Post by IainWR »

The Event wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:36 am
1066 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:09 pm Another one to day - Some chap arguing that a primed case is counted as loaded ammunition and must be counted in your total permitted possessed.
If I remember correctly, that particular quirk comes from a case a long time ago when someone was convicted for carrying a loaded revolver in public. The gun was loaded with primed cases.
You are definitely broadly correct; there is a court case (sorry, can't find the reference) in which a decision constituting a precedent was made that primed cases are "ammunition". Interested to hear the detail of the circumstance, which sounds as though the extent of the applicability of the precedent could be open to challenge.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by 1066 »

Definition of ‘ammunition’
2.11 ‘Ammunition’ means ammunition for any firearm and includes grenades, bombs and other like missiles, whether capable of use with a firearm or not; and also includes prohibited ammunition. It should be noted that the definition of ammunition does not include ingredients and components of ammunition; it is only assembled ammunition that is controlled under the Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge cases, for example, are not ‘ammunition’. There are two exceptions to this. The first is missiles for ammunition prohibited under section 5 of the 1968 Act, for example, expanding ammunition which can only be used in a pistol, or armour-piercing bullets. Such missiles are themselves defined as ‘ammunition’ and are subject to control accordingly (see Chapter 3). The second is primers - section 35 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 introduced controls on the purchase and sale of a cap type primer designed for use in metallic ammunition (see Chapter 5).

Assembled ammunition comprises of Case, primer, powder and bullet.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
davidh195
Past Supporter

#24 Post by davidh195 »

IainWR wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:52 pm
The Event wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:36 am
1066 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:09 pm Another one to day - Some chap arguing that a primed case is counted as loaded ammunition and must be counted in your total permitted possessed.
If I remember correctly, that particular quirk comes from a case a long time ago when someone was convicted for carrying a loaded revolver in public. The gun was loaded with primed cases.
You are definitely broadly correct; there is a court case (sorry, can't find the reference) in which a decision constituting a precedent was made that primed cases are "ammunition". Interested to hear the detail of the circumstance, which sounds as though the extent of the applicability of the precedent could be open to challenge.
There was a case of a woman walking around a supermarket with a handgun loaded with primed cases it was concealed I Believe.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Sky888
Home club or Range: RRPC, HTRPC, WHPC, NRA, EBSC

#25 Post by Sky888 »

The MET also asked license holders to keep fired cases for evidential identification should a firearm be stolen and used in crime. These letters were sent out a few years ago and still go out today with new copies of certificates.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#26 Post by dromia »

We are not license holders we are certificate holders.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pete
Past Supporter

#27 Post by Pete »

Maybe the primer anvil could be ejected if a primed case was fired, in which event it could be construed as a "live round"........I certainly wouldn't like to be hit in the eye by one...

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Graham M

#28 Post by Graham M »

Pete wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:39 am Maybe the primer anvil could be ejected if a primed case was fired, in which event it could be construed as a "live round"........I certainly wouldn't like to be hit in the eye by one...

Pete
But the hole in the case head in front of the anvil is surely smaller then the anvil itself any????
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pete
Past Supporter

#29 Post by Pete »

A lead styphnate primer releases quite a bit of energy when it goes off......who knows what could happen if the anvil broke up?
I'd say there's every possibility of a tiny fragment going through the hole.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Site Supporter Since 2015

#30 Post by 1066 »

Pete wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:32 pm A lead styphnate primer releases quite a bit of energy when it goes off......who knows what could happen if the anvil broke up?
I'd say there's every possibility of a tiny fragment going through the hole.

Pete
But not regulations on blank rounds that also have a primer and a charge?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com