Open sight tuition.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

1902MLE

Open sight tuition.

#1 Post by 1902MLE »

So…..
I’ve be involved with all sorts of rifles for decades, almost exclusively with optical or night vision sights, I’ve now after all this time bought a Lee Enfield and am struggling a little with the open sights, might there be a kind member on here based in the southeast that could kindly donate an hour or two of their time to give me a few pointers?
I’d be happy to cover travel cost and provide a decent lunch on the day.
Many thanks
1902MLE
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Open sight tuition.

#2 Post by 1066 »

Hi and welcome to the forum. What seems to be the problem? Are you talking about aperture sights, as might be on a "Target" Enfield or open notch rear sights and a blade foresight?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
1902MLE

Open sight tuition.

#3 Post by 1902MLE »

Hi 1066,
It’s an original MLE with a notch rear sight and blade up front, i bought it for primarily for close up woodland deer and am struggling to consistently hit an 8” gong at 100m, I recon it’s me not getting the hang of open sights more than anything, I’ve bought 3-4 different factory loads to get used to it but so far I’m not getting the results I need so want to be sure it’s not me?
I’ve had 3 RFD’s scope the barrel and all have said the bore is in remarkable condition and that there is no reason why it shouldn’t group 2” all day long.
As the rifle is all original I have no intention of putting a scope on it.
Cheers
1902MLE
Alpha1

Open sight tuition.

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

You just need to fit a Parker Hale rear apeture sight to your SMLE. Job done.
1902MLE

Open sight tuition.

#5 Post by 1902MLE »

Thereby hangs a potential problem, mines a very early MLE, not sure they’d fit?
Cheers
1902MLE
shoppe
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Any field

Open sight tuition.

#6 Post by shoppe »

You will be much better practicing on a much bigger target to start with until you get used to the open sights.
Use a target about 24 inches and see how you get on.
This will tell you if the rifle and you can put together a group of shots.
Make sure the target is bright too so you have a good contrast between the sights and the target.
A quick spray of sight black will help make your sights stand out too.

For a beginner an 8inch gong is a pretty small sight picture.
It's possible to buy a paper deer target life size too but it will not be bright.
Pretty sure it's got to do with the small target your aiming at to start with.
Cheers
Shoppe
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Open sight tuition.

#7 Post by dromia »

Also use a Tin Hat target gives a far better sight picture being designed for blade fore sights.

Start at a closer distance as well say 50 yards.

Just because a rifle can group at 2" doesn't mean to say the shooter can group at 2" looking to your own grouping ability should be a starting point.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by 1066 »

Starting at a shorter range with a well defined target will certainly help. I would establish that the rifle/ammunition combination will actually produce a reasonable group, the barrel may look good but proof is on the paper, an experienced shooter using a solid sandbag rest should be able to confirm this.
Are your eyes ok? You need to be able to focus on the fore sight post clearly.
Are you still intending to use the rifle for stalking or more for informal target shooting!

You might think about buying an inexpensive conventional break barrel air rifle. These will nearly always come with standard adjustable open sights and will be quite capable, given reasonable pellets, of grouping within an inch at 20 yds.
There is just no substitute for practice. Many older shooters on this forum will have started at a very early age, plinking in the back yard with an air rifle, progressing on to a local smallbore club, then on to full bore, shooting out to a 1,000 yards, all with open sights and the rifle only supported with a leather sling.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
1902MLE

#9 Post by 1902MLE »

Thanks very much for your replies, I think I’ll do as suggested and go back to basics, shooting groups with a rifle isn’t an issue as such, I’ve been shooting other rifles/calibres for years, so it’s start off with a larger target at a closer range then work from there, I suppose I thought that as I needed the rifle for close range woodland stalking (maybe 50-60yds max) if I can hit an 8” gong at 100yds grouping 2” then job done?
Added to that I’m used to rifles with optical sights grouping sub 1/2” so was probably expecting too much.
Open sights for me are a new concept so I recon that’s where the issue lies, maybe I need to find an open sight shooter and see how well they shoot it ?
Cheers
1902MLE
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#10 Post by 20series »

Hi and welcome, not being personal but how is your eye sight?

I was reasonably proficient at prone smallbore and anyone who needed lenses always had them to focus on the front sight..

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP