Vigilance when transporting firearms

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Vigilance when transporting firearms

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Had a club visit from Greater Manchester police. with regards too the following.

"We had a visit at the club today by the local Police. They’ve asked us to make all members aware that they have intelligence to suggest that Members of Rifle & Pistol clubs are being followed home from clubs and then attacked to steal firearms and ammunition. Please be vigilant and if you think you are being followed, call the Police immediately and ask for assistance."

Anybody else had similar information.
Rockhopper

Re: Vigilance when transporting firearms

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

Heard this quite a few years ago. Doesn't surprise me to be honest.
RDC

#3 Post by RDC »

They don't even have to follow you in person, just stick an airtag on every car in the car park and see where they end up.
Tallguy

#4 Post by Tallguy »

A female friend of mine had her new Range Rover Sport in the dealers for minor attention. The mechanic found 2 air tags affixed to the underside of her vehicle. Someone obviously tracking to work out when she wasn’t at her very nice home in the middle of nowhere, or possibly more worryingly when she was at home. Tags removed, Police informed etc. the following day she went out and bought 2 large and aggressive Alsatian dogs for home protection and installed CCTV and a panic alarm.

The car park for my rifle club is 50m from the club door but it’s an unlit walk. Club CCTV cover part of the walk but not all of it, coming out in the dark I always have a good look around before walking to my car.
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by millemigliadave »

The Air Tag thing is a concern but I was of the impression that their range was only in the order of 20-30 feet, hence useless for locating a remote vehicle?

#6 Post by 1066 »

millemigliadave wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:16 am The Air Tag thing is a concern but I was of the impression that their range was only in the order of 20-30 feet, hence useless for locating a remote vehicle?
Although the Airtag does have some limitations there are plenty of small cheap GPS trackers available - these need a sim card but have unlimited range.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

millemigliadave wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:16 am The Air Tag thing is a concern but I was of the impression that their range was only in the order of 20-30 feet, hence useless for locating a remote vehicle?
AirTags will talk to other AirTags and any apple device to relay data. If the target has an boing then that will be a perfect relay for it.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by millemigliadave »

Thanks 1066 and Polchraine for the info - every day's a school day! :)
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

you'll plrobably find its more that its a nice car, and they want to know where it lives to take it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns

#10 Post by 1066 »

Are we going to see a sudden spike in the number of sawn-off Martini Internationals used in gangland shootings now?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com