Spare magazine prices?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

1902MLE

Spare magazine prices?

#1 Post by 1902MLE »

Being relatively new to ownership of a historic rifle I’m looking for advice on a fair price for spare Mag for a Lee Enfield long, I’ve managed to find one on offer for £90.00, is this about right in the current market please?
Cheers
1902MLE
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Spare magazine prices?

#2 Post by GeeRam »

1902MLE wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:15 pm Being relatively new to ownership of a historic rifle I’m looking for advice on a fair price for spare Mag for a Lee Enfield long, I’ve managed to find one on offer for £90.00, is this about right in the current market please?
Cheers
1902MLE
Whats wrong with the mag you have?

If there's nothing wrong with it, then there's is no need for a spare mag. Lee-Enfields are charger fed, not mag fed, the mags are not designed for being removed to load them, as it risks damaging the feed lips etc.
1902MLE

#3 Post by 1902MLE »

It’s the only one I have, I want a spare for deer stalking and the rifle is not charger fed.
Cheers
1902MLE
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Lee Enfields are designed to be charger fed.
GeeRam

#5 Post by GeeRam »

1902MLE wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:46 pm It’s the only one I have, I want a spare for deer stalking and the rifle is not charger fed.
Cheers
1902MLE
So your rifle never went through the post 1908 charger bridge modification....?

That makes it a rarity then.

In that case a spare mag is not a bad idea. They cost what they cost when you can find one.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#6 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
If you need one and you want one, buy it now when you have a chance, the way prices are going, God only knows what they will cost in the future that`s if you can find one.........
1902MLE

#7 Post by 1902MLE »

Looks like I’d best take the one I’ve found then, my rifle is 1902 and is in an unmolested original state so was made before the charger update
GeeRam

#8 Post by GeeRam »

1902MLE wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:20 pm Looks like I’d best take the one I’ve found then, my rifle is 1902 and is in an unmolested original state so was made before the charger update
Yes, but as I said, the vast majority of them still in service after 1908, went through the charger bridge mod, after the introduction of the SMLE, so as to have commonality.
So, if yours isn't modded (it was only 6 years old when the charger bridge mod was introduced) then it was likely sold out of service/donated to second line overseas use very early for it not to be modded for charger loading.
1902MLE

#9 Post by 1902MLE »

I’ve no idea why it’s a mag loader and not charger but it is as built with all matching numbers and so I’m told in original condition and unmolested, as a bonus it’s seen very little use.
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#10 Post by Jorden »

If it is genuine and as old as the rifle I would buy it now, I assume it is a ten round mag, how many deer do you intend to shoot all at once?