Mounting a scope on a Mauser

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Mounting a scope on a Mauser

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

I once owned a scoped Mauser mine was fitted with two scope mounts one on the rear of the rifle and one on the front the rear block is higher than the front one which is why I would go for the secong mount you posted a picture of.
I still have the scope mounts if you want them. I will try and post some pics later.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

I had a look at the scope mounts to night I dont think they will work for you if you want to shoot F class. They are designed to be used with 1 inch rings. The front mount is a Parker hale A22 the rear mount is a Parker Hale A9. probably designed to mount one of the original type of scopes. If you have access to a machine shop you should have no problem fitting any of the mounts or bases you dont need a gun Smith to do that.
Its a drill and tap job. The dedicated jig does make things a lot easier. There are numerous you tube vidioes on fitting a scope mount to a K98.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:53 am
Pippin89 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:26 am Or there is this one which is 3 times the price but sits a little higher which I might need... Can't see why its 3 times the price though.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/reckn ... r-98-steel
This one is steel and a good make. It looks like it would sit better on the rifle. If I was doing it this is the mount I would go for.
The first picture is aluminium.
Yeah after looking at them in a bit more detail, I have more confidence in the expensive one fitting the rifle better. Its still a relatively cheap solution so I will give it a go. Thanks for confirming.