Scotland FAC and RFD

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Scotland FAC and RFD

#1 Post by shugie »

Still working out plans for our move to Scotland, anyone care to guess how long it takes the polis to do a grant these days, I suspect a move from Engerland would be much the same as an initial grant?

And anyone know of an RFD in the Stirling area who can store firearms at a reasonable rate, or maybe a club that has that?
Careful now/that sort of thing
shotgun sam

Re: Scotland FAC and RFD

#2 Post by shotgun sam »

Contact police Scotland and ask is the best bet, you already have an fac might just be a case of FEO coming out to see the cabinets and issue you with fac from police Scotland.
I have dealt with the ones in glasgow and very helpful
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#3 Post by Lever357 »

If you get stuck, try

https://www.jrussellfirearms.com/category/whats-new-2/

I have just messaged Tony Green and they charge £10 per gun per month.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
shotgun sam

#4 Post by shotgun sam »

Remember if you have any air guns you need a separate certificate for them in Scotland only £5 if you have an FAC or SGC. As for your FAC the usual club or ground for reason for possession.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#5 Post by shugie »

Lever357 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:27 pm If you get stuck, try

https://www.jrussellfirearms.com/category/whats-new-2/

I have just messaged Tony Green and they charge £10 per gun per month.
That's fair, need to thin the collection out a bit I think, £70 per month is going sting after a while.

Thanks for all the info, I know about airguns, I have a very old and rusty one that will have to be disposed of somehow. It would be excellent if they treat an existing FAC holder as a transfer not a new grant
Careful now/that sort of thing
waterford103
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#6 Post by waterford103 »

Your FAC is valid anywhere in the UK , you only need to inform your issuing authority of your address change. They will inform plod in your new area of your arrival , they will send an feo to look at your security arrangements , Police Scotland may offer you a new cert. ,If so insist on seeing and comparing the new one with your existing one for accuracy . Don't sign the new one until you have . Send your old cert. back to your original authority .
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#7 Post by Mattnall »

As Waterford said, tell your current issuing authority that you are/have moved and they do the rest. Don't make this harder than it should be.

You just need to move and set up in your new home with security to a reasonable standard and you'll know how far to go.

We have a club member who was forced to move to a new premises and the insurance gave him a place in the next county and his current county said they'll do all the paperwork and to wait for the new county to contact him.
Well, after a few months the insurance company had to move him again back to the first county (don't ask, it is complicated) and the other county never did talk to him - even when he emailed them to say he is leaving their county.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
daman
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#8 Post by daman »

I did this last year.

As others have said you should just have to inform your local force and await a call from your new force to do an inspection.

In my case, I had my guns in RFD storage for a few months until I got things sorted in Alba. Then after notifying the Met and Police Scotland, I moved the guns up here.

After moving the guns up I waited for a few months (the Met said 'don't chase') eventually I did chase and Police Scotland was notified by the Met, Polis did a comprehensive visit, and I was told my tickets would be forthcoming.

After a few months I chased it up and the tickets arrived.

So, from experience, expect the process to take a few months :-)

D