Silvalube cast bullets

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
drone

Silvalube cast bullets

#1 Post by drone »

Any one used these?, comments good or bad.
I bought 300 (all the shop had) and am running them through my rossi 92r in 38 sp cases with an appropriate charge of lovex D036. No leading so far but I am also tumble lubing in Lee's Liquid Alox.

I'm loading my last 100 tomorrow, the bullets are quite accurate but a bit fast for the indoor range at 1400 fps and the bullets are hardcast.
I quite like them but being roundnose there's a ? over them setting off a magazine full. I also like the 158 grn TC hard cast bullets preferring both these shapes over the RNFP style.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

Re: Silvalube cast bullets

#2 Post by shoppe »

Aye, many years ago these were the go to bullet.
I must have fired 1000,s of them but I am sure some people on here will have fired LOTS too.
We just used them straight from the box as they arrived.
I used 357 cases in 686 revolver with vit 320 powder. The charge was under 5 grains. I did not know they are still available. I may have to get a box fof my marlin.
Cheers
Shoppe

#3 Post by 1066 »

They must have been old stock, I thought Silverlube bullets went the way of the Dodo 30 years ago, along with Howitzer products, Zero powder, Whamadet presses, Bowler grips and a host of other well known names during those painful times.
Weren't Silverlube bullets distributed by Mountain & Sowden?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#4 Post by shoppe »

I think your right there 1066, Mountain and Sowden rings a bell.
MistAgain

#5 Post by MistAgain »

drone wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:40 pm Any one used these?, comments good or bad.
I bought 300 (all the shop had) and am running them through my rossi 92r in 38 sp cases with an appropriate charge of lovex D036. No leading so far but I am also tumble lubing in Lee's Liquid Alox.
There is no need to lube , they are already lubed , hence the name .
drone

#6 Post by drone »

[/quote]

There is no need to lube , they are already lubed , hence the name .
[/quote]
No but it's dead easy to do and it makes me happy and my muzzle crown black!!!!

#7 Post by 1066 »

Personally never liked the Silverlube bullets in anything - Never could get an accurate load compared with conventional or Alox lubed bullets.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

A very poor bullet range far too hard for a good cast bullet, probably just adequate for a not very discerning club pistol shooter at 20 yrds. Unless your gun was the rarity which the bullet fitted perfectly.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#9 Post by Mattnall »

drone wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:40 pm Any one used these?, comments good or bad.
I .. am running them through my rossi 92r in 38 sp cases..
What's this running you speak of? Try shooting them instead. ;)
I shoot because I don't like to run and it's the next best thing to being there.

As mentioned above they don't need extra lube, just one more expense and an extra (rather sticky) process to reloading.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
MistAgain

#10 Post by MistAgain »

dromia wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:51 pm A very poor bullet range far too hard for a good cast bullet, probably just adequate for a not very discerning club pistol shooter at 20 yrds. Unless your gun was the rarity which the bullet fitted perfectly.
In the early UKPSA days they were a cheaper option than FMJ in a 45 Auto if you wanted to make Major . True the accuracy did drop of a bit when 50 yards plus was required .