Gunsmith for clip slots

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
James84

Gunsmith for clip slots

#1 Post by James84 »

Hi all, does anyone know a gunsmith who is able to cut clip slots in the bridge on a Remington 700 receiver?

https://www.longriflesinc.com/products/ ... optic-base
MistAgain

Re: Gunsmith for clip slots

#2 Post by MistAgain »

James84 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:58 am Hi all, does anyone know a gunsmith who is able to cut clip slots in the bridge on a Remington 700 receiver?

https://www.longriflesinc.com/products/ ... optic-base
That looks like an expensive job .

And I suspect reproofing will be involved .

So is it really required ?
James84

#3 Post by James84 »

MistAgain wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:22 pm So is it really required ?
Yes
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

200 dollars sounds like a good price to me for that amount of work. Whats the advantage of that type of modification.
Graham M

#5 Post by Graham M »

Would that not weaken the action considerably?????
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
James84

#6 Post by James84 »

It does not impact the pressure-bearing areas (lugs, chamber etc.) and was a standard feature on older 700s and M40X rifles.

The clip slot serves 2 purposes - one is to enable the use of chargers/clips to load the magazine for rapid fire target matches (if the slots are cut with the charger grooves, much like on the charger bridge of a Lee Enfield, K98 etc.) and the second reason, which is the reason I need it done, is for the mounting of certain scope bases. With the need for charger loading removed, the USMC simply cut rectangular slots for mounting the scope bases.

I have a Unertl scope mount and am building a M40A1 clone/replica, so need the clip slots cut to mount the base on the receiver. These bases are made with lugs that slot into the clip slots, mechanically mating them to the receiver.

I need to do some research but it may well require proofing again, as it is altering a component part, albeit not in a pressure-sensitive area.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Interesting. let us know how you get on.
James84

#8 Post by James84 »

Will do. I fear this is something I may be doing myself with a dremel :squirrel:
Graham M

#9 Post by Graham M »

I think you can buy a couple of thousand grinding pads off the net ;) lol
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
James84

#10 Post by James84 »

:D

Hacksaw, files and a dremel to polish. What could possibly go wrong