Hello from sunny Cornwall.

New to the forum? Tell us who you are.

Moderator: dromia

markie
Home club or Range: looe

Hello from sunny Cornwall.

#1 Post by markie »

Hi guys,

My name is Mark and I'm just back to shooting after a 30 year gap, and a 1 year 8 month wait for my ticket. I shoot at Looe rifle club.

I used to work for a company called Parker Hale before my move to Cornwall in 1980, then did a few years at Leslie Hewett (now RUAG)/Lower Lake shooting grounds. Retired now.

I have a few antiques, Marlin 1892, a Remington no4 Rolling block, and 3 antique revolvers. All the foregoing are .32 rimfire. Oh yes and a Snider converted ex muzzle loader......... that's not .32 rimfire.
Graham M

Re: Hello from sunny Cornwall.

#2 Post by Graham M »

Did you work with Ma Parker up the Mosely Rd??
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Cornish-Viking
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers, Cornwall Rifle Club, Duchy Shooting Association & Launceston Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Cornish-Viking »

Also Cornwall.

Hello.
- Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor/MDT ACC
- Schmeisser LMR 223
- 1942 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1
- Bergara B14r Carbon
- CZ 457 Long Range Precision Gen2
- Kriss Defiance DMK
- GSG 1911
- Beretta 686E 12g

https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/
markie

#4 Post by markie »

GRAHAM...... No I worked at Parker Hale in Golden Hillock Road, although Edna Parker did come in from time to time. I believe there was bad blood between messrs Parker and Hale. Not too sure when the split was but it was before my time. As you say Edna had a base in Moseley Road somewhere.
Graham M

#5 Post by Graham M »

I lived half a mile from the old BSA works and as kids we used to walk along the tow-path on the Grand Union Canal that went past the BSA works and under Golden Hillock Rd.
The canal passed over an aqueduct over the River Cole, and as kids we always called it the ackadox. This was later shortened to the Ackers. Was Parker- Hale in Armoury Rd???
Look at it now -
https://www.openplay.co.uk/view/1836/ackers-adventure
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

Hello and welcome to the forum

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

Just found this -
Parker Hale.jpg
markie

#8 Post by markie »

The official address was Golden Hillock Road, although it was actually sited on what was essentially waste ground. Probably on a bomb site left over from WW2. BSA was sort of next door although it was quite a distance away (across the waste ground). My mum and dad both worked at BSA during the war and the whole area was bombed extensively.

Therer was a small underground room (Bomb shelter??) which we used as a test range. One day I went to test fire a revolver and noticed a pile of olive drab wooden boxes in the corner. Couldn't resist it so I opened one. They contained Browning M1919 machine guns with twin pistol grips and butterfly trigger. They were complete with the pintel mounts for mounting on a vehicle, and still in the factory greaseproof paper. There was a pile of 20+
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#10 Post by Geek »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S