Gallery rifle scope

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Gallery rifle scope

#1 Post by johngarnett »

Greetings gallery rifleers!!

I'm after some advice on the above please.

I have a Marlin 357/38 and I'm using a red dot, no-mag, sight for up to 25m GR comps but feel a bit of magnification would not go amiss now.

I have had some helpful recommendations from 'another' forum but just wondered if there were any suggestions on here please! I would like an illuminated dot but not cluttered like a Xmas tree!! Magnification approx 2.bowl - 15x ?. I need parallax adjustment down to 10m......and to be able to afford it!! What sort of reticles are being used and can be recommended please.

Thank you

JohnG Cornwalldy
johngarnett

Re: Gallery rifle scope

#2 Post by johngarnett »

Sorry, I thought I had re read it but magnification should read '2.bowl - 15x' !!!!!
JohnG
johngarnett

#3 Post by johngarnett »

No idea what's going....... 'bowl' ?????? = two point five times to fifteen times

Sorry

JohnG

#4 Post by 1066 »

Hi John.. I use a little Simmons Whitetail classic 1.5-5 x20 on my Winchester .357 for gallery comps.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if they are still available. Not illuminated. No parallax adjustment.
https://www.uttings.co.uk/p103435-simmo ... ope-wtc11/
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

I'd be surprised if there wasn't something to suit your needs in the Vector Optics range of scopes. I know there'll be some titters from some about Chinese scopes but I don't know what magic they're using but it works!

I bought a Veyron 4-16x for a .22lr bolt action, mainly because it was nice and small and I don't like whopping scopes on small guns. It also has a ton of features (inc. side parallax, centre dot and first focal plain) and was a shockingly low £160.

I was hugely impressed with it as all of my previous experiences with budget scopes have been terrible, most having really bad clarity on anything more than x10 and all of them 'milking out' at the top end of their mag range, regardless of power. I learned my lesson though and always went for mid-high end after that for at least 10 years with scopes from Trijicon, Leupold, Sightron and Eotech to follow.

Because of my good experience with the Veyron when I was after something with a little bit more power I took another punt on a Vector and this time got a 3-18x Continental and I'm equally, if not more impressed with it. I would say it is noticeably more sharp than my previous Leupold Mk4, which is no mean feat for something 1/4 of the price!

Anyway, if you can find one to have a look through i'd thoroughly recommend doing so. If you order from Optics Warehouse they offer a full money back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied (obviously don't mount it on the rifle/mark it in any way if you are going to return it)
DVC
johngarnett

#6 Post by johngarnett »

Thank you both. Appreciate information.
Alan, looks like Whitetail is now gone.
Mr Blackstuff, Next project is to do a search then. Used Optics Warehouse several times before and can confirm excellent set up and service.
.........or I may just stick to my red dot with all this bewildering choice!!!
JohnG
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Sorry nothing to do with your post but I just did a check I have owned my winchester trapper for 25 years and only ever shot it using a Wiliams rear sight. I am struggling with it now due to eye sight problems
(More surgery but hopefuly not as invasive this time) but I have a plan. I am guessing you will have no interest in my plan so I wont bore you with it. Good night God bless.
johngarnett

#8 Post by johngarnett »

Alpha,
Always interested to share a plan...we are all friends together. (Well, most are friends shakeshout ). We are all shooters of some sort!
JohnG Cornwalldy
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

So long as the plan is concerned with guns and shooting!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/

#10 Post by 1066 »

I had a look through one of these this week. Really quite impressed for a cheap scope - In fact I might well find a use for one.
It could do with a finer reticle and I would sooner lose the IR function but other wise I thought it was a great little scope for under £100 including a set of rings.
https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/vecto ... cope-rings
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com