Older Shotguns, Choke Reduction for Steel?

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Older Shotguns, Choke Reduction for Steel?

#1 Post by millemigliadave »

Hi, I have a couple of old shotguns - a Baikal 27e O/U and a Franchi long recoil semi auto (think its an AL48 but not sure). Both have what seem to be very tight chokes. (measured with a caliper at the muzzle all three barrels are under 0.7 in.) I realise neither gun is worth much, however I would like to keep them, but with the possibility that clay shooting may well require steel shot before long, I would be concerned about shooting standard steel through such tight chokes.

My questions are:

1) am I right to be concerned about using steel through such tight chokes? Would be clay shooting loads only if that is relevant.
2) I can and will ask a local shop about cost for opening them up, but I would be interested in any rough estimate of this?
3) would the guns need reproof after having the chokes eased? (and any estimate of cost would be useful for this too)

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Older Shotguns, Choke Reduction for Steel?

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

1) 1/2 or Modified (Same thing) is the tightest choke normally recommended for steel
2) Sorry never had it done. When I contacted Teague about a rechoking I think it was in the £130 ballpark, but then would need to use their thin walled chokes which were about £80 a pop
3) I'd say yes, but anyone qualified to do the work should be able to confirm. The guns themselves need to be Steel Proofed as well. They should have a Fleur de Lis symbol next to the proofing stamp
DVC