FAC renewal

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
onlymeagain

Re: FAC renewal

#21 Post by onlymeagain »

Mine cost me £40 here and took about 10 days to get back.
John Gunn
Home club or Range: Bisley

#22 Post by John Gunn »

If you have an FAC there will be a marker on your medical records. Just like on the DVLA database. Friend of mine -FAC holder was driving to Gatwick early one morning and was stopped by the police because of that.... She in uniform and was going to be flying the plane to Orlando...but stopped because of the marker.
My GP charged £50. It's just a tick box exercise not "is he suitable" but " does he have a record of any mental issues.."
Took a couple of days.
I've heard some GPs are refusing to sign them citing conscience objector! Idiots. They are completing a tick box form not refusing to go to war.
I always obtain the paper form and complete them that way. Just photo copy a list of Firearms from my FAC and stick it to the form. Saves a lot of online typing and getting timed out..
Tallguy

#23 Post by Tallguy »

John Gunn wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:07 am If you have an FAC there will be a marker on your medical records. Just like on the DVLA database. Friend of mine -FAC holder was driving to Gatwick early one morning and was stopped by the police because of that.... She in uniform and was going to be flying the plane to Orlando...but stopped because of the marker.
My GP charged £50. It's just a tick box exercise not "is he suitable" but " does he have a record of any mental issues.."
Took a couple of days.
I've heard some GPs are refusing to sign them citing conscience objector! Idiots. They are completing a tick box form not refusing to go to war.
I always obtain the paper form and complete them that way. Just photo copy a list of Firearms from my FAC and stick it to the form. Saves a lot of online typing and getting timed out..
Something there doesn’t add up. Vehicle records are run by the DVLA. The Police have access to that database but the GP would not advise the DVLA to add a firearms marker to that account. The Police could ask the DVLA if it is possible to place a marker against any vehicle registered to a certain individual but whether that could be done simply for ownership or a Firearms licence is debatable. If every Police force put a marker on the car of every firearms licence holder the there would be reports of hundreds of stops a week. There aren’t. Just because the vehicle has a marker on it due to a firearms licence holder owning it doesn’t mean they are driving it. I am legally insured on a number of different vehicles…..

My GP practice also refused to complete my firearms medical on the basis of CO. I did an SAR for the release of my records and got it down by a Thrid party provider.
Blackstuff

#24 Post by Blackstuff »

AFAIK there is no marker on the DVLA database for firearms, its on the Police National Computer (PNC) which pings car licence plates for certificate holders. Whether theres a link up between the UK police systems and the US I don't know. The Yank systems are far more advanced than ours and aggressively 'plug-in' where ever they aren't equally aggressively blocked.
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

I can confirm, there is no marker added to DVLA database. As Blackstuff said, it is on the PNC. However, this isn't linked to ANPR so would not have been the reason that person drew the attention of the police. They would have had to have an interest in the car for another reason and then done a search on the owner on PNC. Most likely, they saw something they deemed suspicious (speed, fault with car, etc.) and decided to look into the owner.
Alpha1

#26 Post by Alpha1 »

I thought it was to good to be true.
Filled the renewal form out on line sent them a copy of my medical records (The Medical Records cost the Club £40.00) plus a photograph all done on line took me 20 minutes paid the fee £62.00.
Got a phone call three days later because its a Club certificate I have to go through the Home Office and renew our Home Office Aproval then they will issue the Club a free certificate. The home Office wants £370.00 or there abouts.
I have informed the Club that I wish to resign as Club Secretary at the next AGM that will be in January 2024. So I can renew then let the new Guy sort everything out in January or I can drop him in it and let him sort it out. He has no idea whats involved so I am reluctant to do that.(He has no idea what he has let himself in for.) I spend a full day every week dealing with Club related stuff.
I can not wait to be without all this crap in my life.
phaedra1106

#27 Post by phaedra1106 »

I know the feeling, I have the NRA club renewal to sort out and compile the new spreadsheet for the SCC renewals as they've changed it from the previous versions.

I'm having to try to use the mouse left handed and type with my left hand and one finger on the right as I managed to break a finger and the main joint/socket it fits into. It won't go back into place properly so have had 3 different casts fitted in about the last 8 days :o

Consultant and doctors I've seen are not particularly hopeful that it will stay where it's been put, they had 6 attempts last Wednesday and gave up as it just keeps coming out of place.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)