Ext. Barrel Cleaning Under Handguard

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
squatman86

Ext. Barrel Cleaning Under Handguard

#1 Post by squatman86 »

Hi there,

I have a Schmeisser SP15 LMR which comes fitted with a fairly long handguard almost covering the whole barrel.

Now we're getting cold weather and condensation kicks in and layers itself on the barrel exterior, what do you guys do/recommend for a barrel that has a handguard, do you take the handguard off for cleaning after use? Or is there some homemade tool to wipe all the way along the barrel under the handguard?

At the moment I'm hoping it's new enough and never been degreased that the factory oil is offering some protection.

Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Blackstuff

Re: Ext. Barrel Cleaning Under Handguard

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Its never been an issue on any of the guns i've owned, and most have over-barrel handguards, but I suppose it all comes down to the type of steel the barrel is made from. Once its been shot to being hot a few times, assuming it already has some oil/grease on, it should become 'seasoned'.

As long as you can remove the handguard without removing the barrel nut (i think there's only the S&W 15-22 AR that does that), then your zero shouldn't be affected if you're using a scope/red dot. Obviously there might be some shift on your front sight if attached to the handguard.

Not letting the barrel get cold while still outdoors/outside of a fleecey slip ensures the condensation doesn't get a change to form bangbang
DVC