black powder proof

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

black powder proof

#1 Post by Jorden »

Todays topic for argument; should black powder revolvers have the wedge proofed?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: black powder proof

#2 Post by dromia »

Depends on how you would have it "proofed"?

Checking a gun for possible failures is a good idea, however the way things are "proven" under the current regime is totally useless as an indicator of anything other than it didn't break/explode that time when an overpressure round was deliberately fired through the gun.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#3 Post by ukrifleman »

I had a conversation on the range some time ago with a club member who was an aeronautical engineer, when the subject got around to stress testing of components.
He said that any individual component that was stress tested and passed was never used, but all the other units in the batch were deemed to be fit for purpose.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Aye no one in their right mind would deem an over stressed part to be safe, except the lunatics in the proof house.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#5 Post by billgatese30 »

ukrifleman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:07 pm I had a conversation on the range some time ago with a club member who was an aeronautical engineer, when the subject got around to stress testing of components.
He said that any individual component that was stress tested and passed was never used, but all the other units in the batch were deemed to be fit for purpose.
Yet with the pressure equipment directive, all vessels over a certain pressure volume (i.e. A combination of volume and pressure) must be tested at greater than maximum SWP before being placed on the market. Strange how approaches differ by industry.
Chris
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#6 Post by FredB »

Pressure vessels are not early subject to regular cyclic stresses. The problem with overstressed proof tests is that the fatigue life of the test piece is radically shortened.
Fred
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#7 Post by Plumose »

Does the emptying and filling of pressure vessels daily count as regular cyclic stress, as that is what happens with scuba cylinders at a busy dive centre?
My standard cylinders have a working pressure of 232bar and test pressure of over 300bar (I would have to look at one to get the exact pressure), the test is filling to the higher pressure and checking or plastic deformation
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#8 Post by billgatese30 »

PED checks are normally at least 1.5 times working pressure and they certainly see pressure cycling when operating depending on the component. Things like desiccant air dryers will dump pressure from one tower to re-generate etc.
Chris
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#9 Post by FredB »

Cyclic stress means that the stresses are reversed, compressive to tensile. The proof test on a pressure vessel may actually improve its life. As the overpressue test is released. Residual compressive stresses may be left in the inner skin of the vessel. The pressures are very small compared to those experienced b a gun barrel where the complex shape around the breach area,bolt and firing pin are most likely to suffer.
Fred