Scope on a Win 94?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

drone

Scope on a Win 94?

#1 Post by drone »

I make no bones about the fact that I'm nearly 80 years of age and everything seems to get more difficult, in fact there's only one thing that doesn't get harder wallhead .
I've an old model win 94 in 30/30 that used to be the apple of my eye but recently it won't shoot groups, that is until my youngest son came down one of my club's guest days and shot a tiny group at 100 yards using it and its Williams peep sight.
That's it I've just ordered up a side mount base and side mount and it's getting a scope on it. Probably won't arrive from the US until the middle of January but at least it's on order
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Scope on a Win 94?

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

F class was invented for shooters with failing eyesight. Slap the scope on and carry on enjoying the sport.
drone

#3 Post by drone »

"F Class"?
Pippin89

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

drone wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:18 am "F Class"?
It was named after a Canadian shooter, who started it, George Fxxxxx (I forget his last name). He wanted to carry on shooting target rifle after his eyesight started making it difficult. So he put a scope and a bipod on his rifle and carried on shooting. Now it is a competition in its own right. FTR follows TR rules but with the scope and bipod. F-Open is, as the name suggests, open to other calibers and systems to help the shooter.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by 1066 »

I have a Win 94AE in .357. I fitted a small Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20 scope a couple of years ago and pleased with the way it performs. Unfortunately I don't think they are available now but they do come up now and again.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
drone

#6 Post by drone »

I sold one of those not 6 months ago and I'm pigsick, always the way. It had been sitting round unused and a fellow club member made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
As it happens I've a zeiss 1.5x6 that will go on there, I'm quite happy with that as it adds a pound in weight (just about) to the gun and will help tame the recoil (it's a 30/30 btw) that is not inconsiderable with factory 170 Federal ammo.
I bought the mount via Brownells and it seems that's the only way one can get around the arms embargo in the states.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:45 pm It was named after a Canadian shooter, who started it, George Fxxxxx (I forget his last name).
Farquhason (spl?), or so I was told.

The founder of the discipline. I think he was a Canadian or Australian target rifle shooter who couldn't see any more with iron sights.

I was also told it stood for FREE, as in free to add what you like to the rifle.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pippin89

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

Mattnall wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:53 pm
Pippin89 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:45 pm It was named after a Canadian shooter, who started it, George Fxxxxx (I forget his last name).
Farquhason (spl?), or so I was told.

The founder of the discipline. I think he was a Canadian or Australian target rifle shooter who couldn't see any more with iron sights.

I was also told it stood for FREE, as in free to add what you like to the rifle.
Farquhason sounds right. There are pretty strict rules around it still so I can't imagine "free" has ever come into it. Could be wrong though.
Gun Pimp
Home club or Range: Diggle

#9 Post by Gun Pimp »

Drone - I'm the same age as you and I shoot F Class every fortnight at all ranges from 300 to 1000 yards. I compete against all ages and both sexes and occasionally fluke a win. I also enjoy benchrest.
That's the beauty of shooting - age is no barrier - just choose the correct discipline and get the right gear!
F Class - invented by Canadian George Farquharson about 30 years ago and now probably the most popular UK discipline.
rufrdr

#10 Post by rufrdr »

I've put scopes or in one case, a red dot, on most of my rifles due to failing eyesight. I don't compete except with myself, but it is satisfying to be able to shoot to 500 yds again. Even a 3x scope makes a difference for me.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper