Bowers & Gaskin international (B&G) target pistol

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Jeroenw114
Home club or Range: 't Asser Wapen

Bowers & Gaskin international (B&G) target pistol

#1 Post by Jeroenw114 »

Dear British fellow shooters,
Best wishes for 2024.

I am gathering information on unknown and prototype .22 pistols. Only the ones suitable for target or recreational shooting and no single shot or tiny pocket pistols.
In my search I stumbled upon this pistol in an auction in Germany. I was even tempted to buy it but the auction house had accedently listed it again.
It was sold in an earlier auction. I do like the looks of this pistol. When I would find one in great shape I would consider buying and using although the lack of magazines and spare parts is a large disadvantage.     
On most rare pistols information can be found. The Britarms MK2 for instance is also not very known but info can be found.I managed to acquire a magazine, the1982 January issue from "target gun" with info about this pistol. 
I always look at various sites around Europe and USA and have seen many rare pistols but almost always there is some info to be found.
This B&G and it's maker's looks like to be lost in space. No writings in any forum or website other than the auction site where this whan was offered and you find hits from me asking on other forums. The makers were Bowers and Gaskin, no firts names known to me.

So I come to the country of origin.Are there shooters here knowing more? Has anyone owned one?
How long was it in production?How many are made?
Was it a good and popular pistol?
Did the makers did any more in the shooting industrie?
Does anyone have more write ups? Possible with the makers first names?

Does anyone have pictures from it in a better state? The one in the auction was missing the trigger and internal parts.

Jeroen
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Bowers & Gaskin international (B&G) target pistol

#2 Post by 1066 »

Well, that's an interesting pistol. I was quite involved in UIT pistol shooting in the '80's, competing with Browning Match 150, Britarms 2000, Walther GSP, Pardini etc. I can tell you this was not a common pistol, in fact I have never seen or heard of one before now.
I'm guessing, from the look and design it dates from early 70's and very much in the style of the Britarms with a butt stack magazine. Looking at the picture, I would guess it held a 10 shot mag which would be unusual for a match pistol of that type
I have a feel that it may have been a prototype or "one off"

If you want to find out more about this pistol, one chap you might try to contact is Alan Westlake - Heavily involved in UIT Pistol shooting in that era, having bought Britarms and revived the brand in the mid '80's.
https://www.westlakeengineering.com/

I also recall, at about that time, there was another British UIT pistol being offered - I really can't remember much about them or if they ever did produce any pistols (It could well have been this pistol) I believe a chap called Valentine may have been involved.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Jeroenw114

#3 Post by Jeroenw114 »

Thank you. That is in line with I think. I think they just don't get so far as being in production or just a small pre-production. 
And one finds its way to Germany.

This is the article where the B&G is tested. Written as if it is simply for sale. Last think to be found other than one small mention in a German book.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yiyy2q4o ... kv4oy&dl=0
With Alan I did have contact but it never came so far that I got info. I will remind him one more time. But maybe he has better things to do.

#4 Post by 1066 »

Yes, that's the pistol I recall, I remember reading the original article and seeing the adverts at the time. The review does sound as if it was a prototype or pre-production effort. It would be interesting to know who wrote the review.

Certainly very few (if any) sold.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com

#5 Post by 1066 »

Here's another rather unusual UIT type target pistol you may not be familiar with. This is my .32 Zylab Patriot 5 shot muzzle loading pistol.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com

#6 Post by 1066 »

Company listing but no information:
https://www.companysearchesmadesimple.c ... d/#summary
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Jeroenw114

#7 Post by Jeroenw114 »

Very interesting pistol, your Zylab Patriot !Looks like a 5-shot air we have on our club.
It's good and interesting to see what happens within the law possibilities.

#8 Post by 1066 »

Yes, the Patriot was designed after our handguns were confiscated by the government - we were still grudgingly given permission to use muzzle loaders so this pistol was designed to meet international UIT rules and still meet the muzzle loading rule.
The "magazine" is loaded off the pistol with separated primer, powder and bullet. The pistol is not semi-auto but must be racked back between each shot and the block moves across the pistol "harmonica" style.
The load is about 1.3gn Bullseye and a 98gn full wadcutter giving fairly tradition accuracy and performance for this type of pistol.
Unfortunately it was not a great success and not that many were made, however, I enjoy shooting it and if I close my eyes I can imagine I'm shooting my Pardini.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
MistAgain

#9 Post by MistAgain »

If the pistol was made in the UK it should have been proofed , either in London or Birmingham . The stamped proof marks will say where it was proofed . If they are present yoo could ask the proof house if they can supply any information .

However , if the pistol was made in another European country as a sample and never made it to the UK , it should have the proof marks of whatever country it was made in stamped on it . That countries proof house may be able to help .
MistAgain

#10 Post by MistAgain »

Its interesting that on the picture of the Target Gun test , you can see what looks like the Birmingham proof stamp on the bolt . But not on the colour picture .

Chris Valentine was certainly involved in the gun trade back then , mostly with accessories for the 1911 and Browning .

I think Richard Atkins was the Target Gun editor at that time , he may remember some details .