Starting out casting 9mm

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
andrew375

Re: Starting out casting 9mm

#11 Post by andrew375 »

Blackstuff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:40 am Thats some good info, thanks gents. :good:

I slugged my barrel at .356, hence buying the corresponding mold, but that may not have been the right choice? I don't actually think Lee do any others than .355 or .356 for the bullet design i need so I don't think there was a lot of choice in the matter.

I know theres a million variables, but how long will the liquid lube last and still make the ammo safe to use. Say its stored either in boxes or magazines inside an ammo safe thats inside a room in a house? Is it best just to use it 'fresh' rather than having anything hanging around too long?

I have access to roofing/pure lead only (I clean it twice before using it), no range stuff but adding a bit of solder to the pot when i'm melting isn't as much of a chore as I thought it was going to be. :good:
Forget about moulds for 9 m.m. , look at moulds for 38/357. Use as cast, the extra 2 thou' is unlikely to cause problems. Like I indicated above, I have some experience trouble shooting cast in 9.m.m. from before pistols were stolen from law abiding target shooters. The best success was with .358 diameter bullets in the 140 to 158gr. weight range, particularly in Lugers.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#12 Post by mag41uk »

The Lee 6 banger 358 125gn rnfp mould was always good when I shot 9mm. If you want some to try let me know and I will send you some.
The others would be either of the 125gn RN - one of which is the tumble lube design.
Or look at the MP molds range.
I have Lee alox that is over 20 years old and is fine. I mix it with Johnsons paste wax.
If you actually do need to size the Lee push thru system is a simple as it gets.
Ideally its great if you can get a bullet thats the right diameter as cast so you can just tumble lube.
(I just sold a new Lyman 120gn TC 2 cavity 9mm mould!)
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#13 Post by FredB »

You can’t use a micrometer to measure groove diameter of bullets from a barrel with an odd number of grooves——which almost all of them have. If you think that you can control the rotation of the bullet in the jaws of the mic to achieve this, you are kidding yourself.
If you must measure the diameter, then the easy way to do it is to chuck up a piece of scrap metal in the lathe and then bore it out until your bullet is a good sliding fit in the hole. The measure the hole diameter.
Fred
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

Or use "V" Blocks which is what I use.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#15 Post by ukrifleman »

An easy way to measure groove diameter with an odd number of grooves, is to take a piece of copy paper, wrap it firmly once around the bullet and take a measurement.
Them measure the copy paper and subtract twice the thickness.
This will give you the groove diameter.
ukrifleman.
andrew375

#16 Post by andrew375 »

FredB wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:37 pm You can’t use a micrometer to measure groove diameter of bullets from a barrel with an odd number of grooves——which almost all of them have. If you think that you can control the rotation of the bullet in the jaws of the mic to achieve this, you are kidding yourself.
If you must measure the diameter, then the easy way to do it is to chuck up a piece of scrap metal in the lathe and then bore it out until your bullet is a good sliding fit in the hole. The measure the hole diameter.
Fred
Like I said, I've slugged many barrels, rifle and pistol, over the years and I've not encountered any with odd number grooves, most have either 4 or 6 grooves. So what "almost all "barrels are you referring to? A few 3 groove and even single groove barrels were used in military rifle production, but only as a temporary measure to get over the production bottleneck of the cut rifling process. I think Colt used 5 grooves in some of their revolver barrels, I had / have access to properly calibrated "vee" anvil micrometers and never had to resort to using them.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.