New security restrictions

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
PeterN

Re: New security restrictions

#11 Post by PeterN »

I had a variation in January to add two additional firearms and no mention of additional security. I am up in the fifties with section one firearms and in the late teens with shotguns. I had a house alarm installed several years ago, but since my son brought a cat back from university we can't really set it as the cat wandering about will set it off. The house is occupied most of the time anyway.
Regards
Peter
targetman

#12 Post by targetman »

Because my security has to level three, according to the FEO, it has to be police monitored. I am not sure I want the expense or the fuss of it all. I am of an age now where I really cannot bothered. I have about 18 months to renewal in which time I shall have whittle down the number of rifles I have to a more acceptable number, either that I give up altogether.
Polchraine

#13 Post by Polchraine »

targetman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:15 pm Because my security has to level three, according to the FEO, it has to be police monitored. I am not sure I want the expense or the fuss of it all. I am of an age now where I really cannot bothered. I have about 18 months to renewal in which time I shall have whittle down the number of rifles I have to a more acceptable number, either that I give up altogether.
Who says "police monitored" - as far as I know that is not possible. A commercial alarm company will monitor and inform police, but will they attend?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

As I see it, the only legislative part of all this is that it "is a condition of the issue of a firearm certificate that the firearms and shotguns to which the certificate relates must be stored securely at all times (except in certain circumstances) so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by unauthorised persons".

After that it is down to individual circumstances and the guidance will help you with that. The FAC holder and the FEO to come to some agreement taking all those circumstances into account, these can include the local crime rate or building structure, number of firearms and even domestic circumstances.
The Guidance is just guidance and not an enforceable or proscriptive document, however, it is a very useful document if read with that in mind.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#15 Post by Pinguino »

Polchraine wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:54 pm
targetman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:15 pm Because my security has to level three, according to the FEO, it has to be police monitored. I am not sure I want the expense or the fuss of it all. I am of an age now where I really cannot bothered. I have about 18 months to renewal in which time I shall have whittle down the number of rifles I have to a more acceptable number, either that I give up altogether.
Who says "police monitored" - as far as I know that is not possible. A commercial alarm company will monitor and inform police, but will they attend?
My alarm company know there are fireams in the house and will report this to the police if the alarm is activated. If they don't bother coming out for that, then it's pretty pointless..!!