Steyr SSG .308, should I buy this?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

JonC

Steyr SSG .308, should I buy this?

#1 Post by JonC »

Hi all. As a follow up to my post regarding my FEO visit and 7.62 slot :) I am considering this rifle thats on guntrader
https://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/111009151257281
Usage would be general range use, with an eye to possible F T/R (or similar) at some point. Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this rifle. main problem I can see is finding scope rings or a rail that fits, but a club member mentioned that SSGs are expensive to rebarrel if it needs doing in the future. I have shot a standard SSG and really like them, and we tend to shoot 600+ so the longer barrel looks good. Should add the socope and rings have already sold

Cheers

Jon
DL.

Re: Steyr SSG .308, should I buy this?

#2 Post by DL. »

I was shooting next to Scotsgun last year and he has one, you should ask him about them.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have always liked the SSG's however I have a feeling they use push in barrels, I could be wrong here!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

Like Ovenpaa, I do like these rifles and this one appears an attractive set up.

The 10 round mags were rare and are well known to have had reliability issues, bare in mind. Unusual for it not to also come with the standard 5 round mag.

Is the barrel brand new? I suspect not as you would be looking at a good £600 for one, never mind the fluting. As it is likely to have been shot then you need to consider how many rounds have been through it - my guess is 200, shooters don't remember firing over 200 rounds through any rifle I have seen for sale!
I may be missing it, but I don't see a size for the barrel. Although a contentious subject I would suggest that you need at least 26" to get results at 1000 yards. Many tactical barrels come in a lot shorter than that so be honest with what you want it to achieve and how important distance is.

At the end of the day the rifle is only £750, which is quite low for a SSG never mind one with a new barrel. If that is a lot of money to you, then ask lots of questions and make sure that you will be happy with it.
I would certainly be interested if it was not for planing on purchasing something else at the weekend.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

From my novice perspective I would suggest the barrel issue would be a worry given the cost of replacements.

For similar money you probably could pick up a Rem 700 with bottom metal conversion and then you have s great starting platform with the flexibility of it being a Remington.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Buy it I have a standard SSG P1 and it is a tack driver.
The ten round mags are about £100 each the bolt handle is the standard bolt handle.
Fitting that new barrel must of cost a lot of money the barrels are pressed in to the reciever. If it has been done properly it will be a tack driver. I have never heard of a steyr having a new barrel fitted before because of the amount of work involved.
Have a good look at it if the job has been done properly its a bargain.
JonC

#8 Post by JonC »

Still waiting for my cert to arrive... I will see if I can get some more info on the gun (is its still available). Main concern is that I would have to arrrange an RFD to RFD transfer, I would laso like to use an RFD that can cast a quick look over the it as I wouldnt be sure what I was looking at. I assume the thin end is the dangerous bit ? :)

Have just found another ssg complete with original scope and mounts.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Wasn’t the original a Hensoldt/Kahles 10x or similar. I would still have one and with a new barrel it has to be worth a close look.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

They normally come fitted with a Khales scope the rings are fited with a quick release toggle you can take the scope off and refit it with out loosing zero.
The rings on the gun advertised are not original.
If you can get a standard P1 in good nick for similar money I would go with that.
Fitting a new barrel to a steyr P1 is a job and a half on reflection I would not advise you to buy it unless you can get it checked by a competent gun smith it may be fine but I have never heard of one of these having a new barrel fitted before.