Parker Hale T4

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

kri5h

Parker Hale T4

#1 Post by kri5h »

Parker Hale T4
Can some one please tell me the pros and cons of these rifles? I am looking for a budget rifle to fix a scope and do some shooting upto 1000yds. Will they do the job and can I expect MOA accuracy at 100yds? I have no intention of reloading.

Thanks.

ATB.
kingburyshot

Re: Parker Hale T4

#2 Post by kingburyshot »

They are good TR starter rifles, the MOA will depend on the condition of the barrel, the bedding and the ammo you use in it. If unsure get Fultons to check it out for you. If you keep the iron sights it will allow you to enter any TR event run under NRA rules and build up competition skills and wind judging experience.
kri5h

#3 Post by kri5h »

Thanks kbshot. Do you know if the PH TX1200 would be a better choice compared to the T4? What is the difference between the models?
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

Having owned both a T4 and a 1200TX (which I still have) I have to say I prefer the Mauser actioned 1200TX.
Personal choice though as the T4 can be very accurate.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
kingburyshot

#5 Post by kingburyshot »

The mauser actioned 1200TX rifle is a simple rifle to bed, there are some trigger kits for sale which are really helpful and they really are strongly built.
The trakker

#6 Post by The trakker »

Steve E

#7 Post by Steve E »

The T4 was a competative rifle in its day but to be quite honest that day is over. Shoot them in the Transitional Target Rifle Matches in the Trafalger Meeting or for fun. You would have to be very good to compete with shooters using more modern rifles. I have not seen a T4 or No4 conversion being used in serious competition for getting on for 10 years.
Just be aware that if you have a T4 or other No4 7.62 conversions, under current NRA rules you will NOT be able to shoot it using the issued RUAG in NRA run competitions, even if it has a 20T proof (that means that you cannot use it in the Imperial Meeting with the issued ammunition). This is on advice from several well known gunsmiths and not just a'whim' of the NRA. There is a notice in the Range Office to this effect.

Steve
John25

#8 Post by John25 »

Much as I hate agreeing with a Crab, Steve is right. You are looking at a type of gun which is now at least two generations old and is not suitable for heavy bullets. Shooting the 147g bullet will be fine for fun shooting. I once had a Number four converion which shot less than 1/4 moa when I held it properly, but it is now long gone as it was no longer competitive.

As someone said, you can learn to shoot with it, but I wouldn't expect to get on the leader board with it.

:cheers:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Thats why transitional rifle and the HARC leagues for rim fire are so important.

No everyone is a high pressure competitive shooters willing to sell their soul to win the Queens Prize. There are many fine, well made and accurate rifles out there who are very competive when shot alongside their peers and the targets of the time. You still need to be a fine shot to get the best out of them so there is no diminishment in your skill need.

It is no less challenging but it is a lot cheaper as fine kit is a available at a fraction of the price of a set up for modern competition. So money cannot help you buy points. Not that I'm saying that if you throw money at modern competition you will win, it is always the shooter that scores. However it is getting more and more exensive to be competitive enough to test your skill.

With the older courses of fire you can still test and develop your skills on a level playing field for a lot less cost.

This is not miserlyness, for new shooters cost can be a big barrier to entering the sport. Shooting older kit in a competitively recognised and structured way I think would help shooting.

For years I shot 303 competitively at 800, 900 and a thousand yards in the Phoenix and Trafalgar meetings with some occasional success using a S/H £50 Fultons regulated Lee Enfield No 1rifle with a goosed barrel that I had rebarreled for £125.

Besides the gongs that rifle gave me hours and hours of Fun and Pleasure, the only thing that stopped me using it more competitively was the lack of organised competitions.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
John25

#10 Post by John25 »

Dromia,

You are right, I should have been more posiive about all the excellent older guns, the part they play in competitions built around them, and the amazing results still achievable.

Somtimes I can be such a prat!

Who said sometimes?

:good: