.357 Magnum Rifle Suggestion

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

.357 Magnum Rifle Suggestion

#1 Post by Tower75 »

Hi Guys and Girls,

I have an allowance for a .357 underlever rifle, and I'm probably going to look into getting one in the new year. I was wondering, can anyone suggest a Make, or Model?

I know this is like asking: I like food, what should I eat?

But I'm not up on my underlevers, so I thought I'd ask those that are; I'm just looking for a fun-gun, not looking for expensive or "hard core", just something useable.

Regards
T
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: .357 Magnum Rifle Suggestion

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Mmmm...I'm not a L/A person by preference, but I do have a 357 Winchester.
357WIN.jpg
It was originally a 24 inch barrel "Legacy" model - I shortened the barrel to 13.25 inches myself. :good:

The problem (pre shortening) I found with the Winchester was the magaizine spring was too powerful and led to double feeds - so I snipped about 5 coils off the spring, which worked.

THe other problem is that it is very brutal on the rim of the brass and after a while the rim is very chewed up and contributes to double feeds and poor extraction. I don't know if this is just a problem with the Winnie or other makes of L/A, but on the 'net the general consensus seems to be avoid a Winnie in 357.

Why go for a L/A? You try something different like an Alfa Proj revolver carbine http://www.alfa-proj.cz/en/products/fir ... nd-rifles/ they are about the same price as a new L/A - I should have the UK importers e-mail.

Or use it as a spare slot for different pistol calibre rifle or change it to a 357 LBR?

HTH.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#3 Post by johngarnett »

Hi Tower
I have a 357 38spl Marlin 1894 and love it. Cheap to reload for.
I think some Winchesters have top eject which can lead to jams if a scope is fitted with the case not clearing.
I have seen a few Rossi's around. I believe they are good value.
Find one and have fun!!!!
JohnG
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

Having had experience of Marlin, Rossi and Winchester, I would say go for a 2nd hand pre Remington Marlin. a little more expensive but well made, nice to shoot and no issues. Rossi are good value for money and shoot well as do the Winchesters but they can be more tempremental than the others.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#5 Post by the running man »

Get the best you can,remember on the gr circut nobody uses anything but the marlin,theres a reason for this!!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
froggy

#6 Post by froggy »

Salut,

I am not into lever action but I shoot the Henry of a friend couple of time. The action is smooth and the gun cycled perfectly with both 38Sp and 357. Esthetically I really dont like the yellow receiver but I find the look of the octogonal barrel nice . My friend has been using it as a rough-shoot gun in dense forest in France for deer for many years and as far as I know he is satisfied with it and does not have issues with it that he mentioned.
Sim G

#7 Post by Sim G »

I'm a massive Marlin fan...... I have eight!

Mike is dead right, a pre Remington Marlin is the way to go. But, the prices of them have risen steeply over the last couple of years.

I had a Rossi years ago. A faithful reproduction of the Winchester Model 92. Fitting a scope to one is a limited option due to the top eject. Got to be an off set mount. Newer winchesters will also no doubt rise in price as they've stopped making them, but they are around. Look for an AE (Angel Eject) model as more conducive to scope mounting.

If you're going to shoot gallery rifle comps, get a Marlin. As runningman said, they're used for a reason.
Pick a Winchester up if it's a good deal.
Or, if you just want an informal plinker for range days, get the Rossi. I've seen some advertised at less than 200 quid!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by 1066 »

Well I have a Wini 94 AE Legacy in .357 and really enjoy shooting it. It's pretty gun, full of character and great fun, it's easy to load for and the sort of rifle that should be in everyones cabinet.

However- It's not super accurate, but then it was never designed to be. I have had several problems with the ejector which seems a regular problem with the .357 but not so much in other calibres and spares are getting hard to find.

I would hate to part with it but if I was starting out again I would probably go for a Marlin or maybe a Rossi.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I own a Winchester trapper in 357 It was the first gun I bought after the pistol ban so I have had it a while I cast and load 38 special and shoot that in it never had any problems with it. It will shoot as fast as you can work the action does not jam. Ejects perfectly. I would never fit a scope to it that would be a sin. I love it and will never part with it for any price and its very accurate. I used to shoot comps with it but I dont do that any more.
Porcupine

#10 Post by Porcupine »

If you're looking for a fun gun get a Henry Big Boy. The (pre Remington) Marlin 94 is the more accurate, the Winchester 94 is smoother cycling than the Marlin, but the Henry is the smoothest of them all. Silky slick. They also look fantastic with their brass receiver and some lovely wood.

Or if you want something really fun, try the Mare's Leg in .22 or .45 Colt! (12.9" barrel + 25" overall length = UK legal)